Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Remote trans and receivers

I have just purchased a new Aurora inverter 4.2 KW,and there is a place in the control panel that you can plug in a R/T and monitor this on my computer in the house.I have purchased a china made 2.4 GHZ T/R put I cannot get it to receive at the computer.On my inverter it has a RS485 with these TR+ andTR- which I use to transmit to the computer which in turn I have the other receiver hooked to a USB which then transmits the data to my computer,Red light flashes on the receiver saying that is not receiving the signal.Know this a long post but I cannot figure this out.Any help here,thanks

wildcatervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

The key is RS485......the average computer is not going to be able to handle that signal directly.

RS485 is basically a 2 wire version of RS422....in other words, it uses 2 wires instead of 4....you can't transmit and recieve at the same time as RS-422 4 wire can..

You have most likely heard of RS-232....that was Tx Rx and com....but was restricted to short distances (spec is 50'...I have gone 300' with good wire). RS232 uses voltage as the On/Off (digital 1/0).... and is limited to one device.

Whereas RS422 and RS485 use current (high current = 1, low current = 0). This has much greater distances (typically 1000's of feet) and can address multiple devices (I believe the max is 30)

In order to use the signal out of the inverter, your inteface will need to be able to handle RS422/RS485. Belkin and others make said adapters.....just do a search.

jeepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepdawg For This Useful Post:
wildcatervin (08-18-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Talking

JD!Thanks for the quick response.Now I hope you understand this is a wireless setup that I am trying,OK,Are you sayin that I need the RS422 to make this work?I am trying to not run the wires from the garage to the house.Never have tried this type of hookup before,but just might learn something.I have 4 wires hooked into the transmitter and receiver,2 are for power only which uses 5 VDC. and my inverter only puts out AC.The USB going into my computer hooks up to the other receiver with 2 wires only.Have to power the receiver up with a separate 5 VDC.Are we confused yet,just not working for me.thanks again
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
JOATMON

Wild....you have to look at the transceiver.....what is it's input?

Using JeepDawg's info....your transceiver would need to have an RS422/RS485 to accept the signal from your inverter.....the tranceiver on the other end is USB so no issue there.

What is the input on the transceiver that is on the inverter side? If it's RS-232, then you will need and RS-232 to RS485 converter.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

It says on the board it is a RS 485.If I can I will try to show you the board setup on the inverter. bottom says RS485 now next from left to right RTN next column plus TR n/column -TR ,next columeRTN,last isLINK.Have a picture of this but I can't upload it.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

What is the model of the inverter....and transceiver?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Inverter is Aurora 4.2 kw and the transmitter is 600M 20 db wireless transparent URT 2.4 GHZ pair.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatervin View Post
Inverter is Aurora 4.2 kw and the transmitter is 600M 20 db wireless transparent URT 2.4 GHZ pair.
Well.....that transmitter is designed for Ethernet......

Unless your inverter has an Ethernet port.....it's not going to work.....your trying to shove a square peg into a Octagon hole.

I have an idea of what your wanting to do....monitor the status of your inverter.....but your not going to do it with those Belkin's.

Here is one device that might work.

http://www.moxa.com/land/mus-en/dn-d...FcXBKgodnQoAsQ

If you already have a wireless network, you don't need to add a wireless to wireless setup like the Belkin's....just add a device that converts the RS485 to Ethernet and is a wireless transceiver....it then connects to your existing network.

You will then have software on your computer that will talk to your inverter....
Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Lightbulb

JD,sorry for the delay but was delayed as I had company.Got a dumb ? does this ethernet port look like a telephone hookup.If so I have 1 on the inverter marked 485.No directions that covers this but it sure looks like one.If it is ,what would I need to make this connection?Also sent a email to moxa,waiting to see what they have to say.Thanks again
Old 08-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Yes....An Ethernet port RJ45 will look like a phone jack....but most phone jacks are RJ11....and some devices using RS485 may use the RJ45, or RJ11 or even the C4P4 plug (small plag that you find on phone handsets).

Yes, an RJ11 will plug into a RJ45 jack...but you could damage the jack as it will depress the outer most pins..or could cause the outer pins to slide over and make contact with the adjacent pin.

Those Belkins you have will have RJ45 jacks...but if you look closely you will (should) see that the inverter jack is not quite as wide.

If it says RS485....it is NOT compatible with the Ethernet....
Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #11

Good morning JD,looks as tho you stayed up late last night.You are right about thi inverter says RS485 on it ,got pictures but cannot post them on this ite for some reason.If you want you can send me your Email add and I will send them that way.My address is wildcatervin@comcast.net So if you dont want will understand also.Thanks