Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Share |

Remote switch or dimmer???

I am having a box installed in the ceiling to power a chandelier. Problem is, the ceilings are 19' and there is not way to get a switch to the area that we would like for it to be, beside the other switches for the great room. Well, I guess there is a way that would involve a lot of drywall repair, but I am not going to do that.

I have two choices: 1. Tie into the existing light that shines towards the mantle to highlight a painting and run the switch for BOTH the new chandelier AND the existing art light. Or, 2. Utilize a remote switch ( I didnt know that existed). How reliable are these remote switches? Will I be stuck in the near future with an inoperable switch, thereby not having control of my chandelier? Or should I just run both lights on the same dimmer?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Rich

vtl382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

You would need separate runs of romex to each light, back to the box that all of the switches are in, so that you can either install a control pad that allows dimming via the pad, or a app on your android phone/tablet, or iphone/ipad. This is one option http://www.smarthome.com/2477D/Switc...d-White/p.aspx There are more in the smarthome.com site that you can go and search through.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
E2 Electrician

Lutron Pico Switches....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2023260...a#.UTtIu6V8v0c
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote