Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #1

Share |

Remote Switch?

This may sound like a silly question, but is there such thing as a remote switch?

Here is the scenario. I have a 2-story family room, and I would like to install a ceiling fan to help with air circulation. I have access to wiring for the recessed ceiling lighting, so I can use that to power the fan. However, I am trying to figure out any easy way to wire a switch down to the lower level.

Now, if there was such a thing as a remote switch, that would be wonderful! But my guess is there is no such item. So, does anyone have any suggestions for me without doing too much damage to the existing sheet rock? TIA

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Remote Switch?

You mean like this: www.ecogeek.org/content/view/2170/77/

Us electricians aren't supposed to tell you lay folks about this stuff, 'cause it makes it easier to do the stuff yourself. Then, you won't call us! But I'll let you in just this once.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #3

Remote Switch?

Very nice! Any idea how much the individual switches are going to run? I was looking on Verve's site (Masco is just down the street from me), and it says you can call for individual switches. I just don't want to have phone sticker shock. lol
Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #4

Remote Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncw View Post
Very nice! Any idea how much the individual switches are going to run? I was looking on Verve's site (Masco is just down the street from me), and it says you can call for individual switches. I just don't want to have phone sticker shock. lol
I saw one model that was $149. But once you buy wire, call an electrician, and fix and paint any sheetrock that may need to be cut, well, $149 really isn't that bad...
Old 10-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #5

Remote Switch?

Yowza. Good point, though. Something to think about.

So no other "clean" ways to wire a switch to the lower level? I didn't think so, but thought it was worth a shot.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 AM   #6

Remote Switch?

Quote:
Yowza. Good point, though. Something to think about.

So no other "clean" ways to wire a switch to the lower level? I didn't think so, but thought it was worth a shot.
It depends on how your house is laid out. If you have a wall that lines up from the top floor to the floor you want to get to, then you can purchase a long flex bit and extension and drill from the attic down to the first floor. Or you may find that you have a chase for plumbing or HVAC ducts that runs between floors that you might get a wire through from the attic or basement.

Sometimes, you can find a closet that is in the right spot and cut the sheetrock out of the back or side to allow you access to the floor above or below. There are ways, believe you me. I have never met a wall I couldn't fish.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Licensed electrician

Remote Switch?

If you could install a switch nearby you might want to look at this.

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/default.aspx?app=Maestro
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #8

Remote Switch?

x10...
http://www.smarthome.com
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #9

Remote Switch?

Quote:
This may sound like a silly question, but is there such thing as a remote switch?

Here is the scenario. I have a 2-story family room, and I would like to install a ceiling fan to help with air circulation. I have access to wiring for the recessed ceiling lighting, so I can use that to power the fan. However, I am trying to figure out any easy way to wire a switch down to the lower level.

Now, if there was such a thing as a remote switch, that would be wonderful! But my guess is there is no such item. So, does anyone have any suggestions for me without doing too much damage to the existing sheet rock? TIA
I use X10. My whole house is X10 and I can control any light, any fan, the furnace, the water supply from anywhere in the house or anywhere in the world.

Get one of these http://www.smarthome.com/2476S/INSTE...-White/p.aspxa and install it as the fan switch.

Then get one of these http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_tm751.htm and plug it into the wall.

Then get one of these http://www.x10.com/products/x10_hr12a.htm and you are good to go.

X10 is having a sale on some of this stuff. Here is the list I just got form one of my home automation friends.

1 - ActiveEye motion sensor
3 - Lamp modules
1 - Slimline wall switch (stick-a-switch)
1 - 15 amp appliance module
1 - TM-751 wireless transceiver
1 - CM11 powerline interface

for $29.95

Everything you need is in this kit except the wall switch. The transceiver, the remote wall switch, and you get 3 lamp modules that can control them remotely also. It is cheaper than buying the stuff separatly. You can either keep the rest of the stuff or sell it or toss it....

If you decide to go for this please go to shed.com and use the X10 click through at the top of the page. He gets a kick back for anyone buying X10 stuff going through his site and it helps him pay the bills for keeping his site up. It is a home automation site for Mac users.

I have been using X10 for over 20 years and love it.

Anyhow this is one idea and is way less hassle than wiring a remote switch. This system can also grow to include more stuff.

At my vacation home I shut off everything including the will pump and the hot water heater. When I walk in there I push one button and it turns off the security systems, turns on the well pump, the heat water heater and a few other things. The well pump is in another building about 400 feet away and it is so nice to not have to walk over there to turn in on.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #10

Remote Switch?

Thanks for all the help, guys. On the way home from work I stopped by Lowe's and saw this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...esc&lpage=none

But I think I'm going to go with that X10, it looks like a lot more fun.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #11

Remote Switch?

And BTW, InPhase277, I called Masco, and the Verve (EnOcean) is not yet sold retail, so that is not an option.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #12

Remote Switch?

Quote:
And BTW, InPhase277, I called Masco, and the Verve (EnOcean) is not yet sold retail, so that is not an option.
The EnOcean model is just one of several. But no matter. Good luck. I like the concept only because the remote switch never needs batteries.