Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Remote mounting of transformer for under cabinet lights

Installing some 12V Xenon puck lights under new cabinets. I have run 12 gauge romex in the walls to the cabinet, dedicated circuit for the lighting. Wiring runs to the basement where I have my home automation lighting control modules, essentially the on/off switch for the circuits that will control these lights.

My initial plan was to just wire into the transformer under the cabinets. In some cases you would see the transformers under the cabinets, in others they would be on top behind the crown molding. Either way not my first choice in case I need to service the transformers down the road.

I was considering instead to mount the transformers in the basement, next to the control modules and then just run the 12V power out from the transformer through the 12 gauge romex I have installed in the walls. Are there length issues I will have with this? Other concerns with this configuration?

mtnears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnears View Post

I was considering instead to mount the transformers in the basement, next to the control modules and then just run the 12V power out from the transformer through the 12 gauge romex I have installed in the walls. Are there length issues I will have with this? Other concerns with this configuration?
I always install my transformers in the basement, easy to access and work on like a gentlemen, the only concern you will have is voltage drop, you can buy a multi-tap transformer if this is an issue, but if all the lights are homeruns, you might be okay, its all based on length and load.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
mtnears (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #3

Cool, sounds like I may be in good shape. Longest run would probably be around 40' I think. Transformer is rated for 60W, but at most I'd have 4 x 10W pucks on the run, so 40W draw. This would be a dimmable circuit as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Cool, sounds like I may be in good shape. Longest run would probably be around 40' I think. Transformer is rated for 60W, but at most I'd have 4 x 10W pucks on the run, so 40W draw. This would be a dimmable circuit as well.
But its 10w per run, correct?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

12 V run, with 4 x 10W puck lights on the circuit. The kit came with 5 lights, each one is 10W, I'm just going to use 4 of those lights though. The transformer is rated at 60W.

Make sense?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Quote:
12 V run, with 4 x 10W puck lights on the circuit. The kit came with 5 lights, each one is 10W, I'm just going to use 4 of those lights though. The transformer is rated at 60W.

Make sense?
yes.. i think you'll be fine, the distance is very minimal... just so you know, the wattage of the transformer does not change the voltage drop, a multi-tap transformer would.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #7

Question on the multi-tap. So could I replace the multiple transformers I have and run all of my Puck lights on one multi-tap transformer on one circuit? I have about 10 lights on three circuits and three different transformers. By running it all to the basement I have the potential to consolidate.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Question on the multi-tap. So could I replace the multiple transformers I have and run all of my Puck lights on one multi-tap transformer on one circuit? I have about 10 lights on three circuits and three different transformers. By running it all to the basement I have the potential to consolidate.
I dont think you'll need it, your loads are small and runs are short, but to answer your question, if you bought a multi-tap transformer, you can connect multiple wires to a single transformer but use multiple taps for each run... but remember, EACH switch or bank of lights would require its own transformer. So if you wanted upper cabinet lights to be controlled differently then the under cabinet puck lights, you would require two transformers.

Each application has its own rules, but for instance, when I do outdoor landscaping, I run as many homeruns as possible, this way, the longer runs I install on the 15v tap, and the shorter runs I install on the 13 volt tap, I check each lamp on the longest run to determine what voltage I need to set... I prefer 11 volts because it offers a longer lamp life with little light output difference.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 07-27-2012 at 07:58 PM.