Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #1

Share |

Remote Controlled Light switch

Hey guys,

I am curious as to how to rig a light switch (like a normal, on the wall on/off switch) into a remote controlled version. I am looking for something subtle, so it should still look like a light switch, and function normally as one, as well as being remotely controlled. Any ideas?

Thanks!

KC

Kcmstrpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #2

Just Google remote light switch, lots of them come up.
Levitron is one company that makes them.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Go to smarthome.com. There are plenty to choose from.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

I guess I was looking for a way to make this homemade, so if I went to a hardware store, what parts exactly would I be looking for?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

There is no way to make it homemade. Go to smarthome.com, or check at Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's if you have one in your area. This stuff is usually in the aisle that the rest of home automation & networking stuff is at. X10 is the common stuff you will find, but does not play well with certain things, that also use the home electrical wiring for communications.

Here are some choices from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-28-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #6

Not to provoke an angry response, I believe it is possible. And that home depot link has interesting products, but NOT what I am looking for. I am looking for a device I can insert on the back of a light switch, like connected to the wires, and with the press of a button on a remote can turn the lights on/off, I have some ideas, I was just looking if anyone else had input.

Thanks,

KC
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Not going to happen. You will have to swap out the complete switch with the remote controlled module.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #8

Look at Skylink.com, they have receivers that go in the lights themselves and can be controlled remotely...may work for your application.
waynestractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcmstrpiece View Post
Not to provoke an angry response, I believe it is possible. And that home depot link has interesting products, but NOT what I am looking for. I am looking for a device I can insert on the back of a light switch, like connected to the wires, and with the press of a button on a remote can turn the lights on/off, I have some ideas, I was just looking if anyone else had input.

Thanks,

KC

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

If you use CFL or LED bulbs, make sure the product you choose is compatible.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #10

What I am looking to do is this:

I have two lights, both operate off their own SPST switch. Nothing special. But, what I would like to do is connect them in a way that I have one switch controlling them both without installing new wiring.

I see remote switches out there but I am not sure if any of them will work in my situation. If I had enough room for another switch I would use some of the standard remote stuff out there but I don't.
rmlxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #11

You can use a Skylink TB-318 wireless switch and 2 MR-318 receivers programmed to that switch to control both lights at the same time.
waynestractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Lutron Wireless Pico and Maestro switches are what you want.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Wire Chewer

If you want to get creative, there's always Arduino. They have some wireless stuff too, or you can just write a computer program that is networked and you can control it from a smart phone.

This is probably beyond the scope you'd want to go to though, but if you have questions I can try to help with that. I have a few custom home automation/monitoring things I've setup including a network controlled thermostat.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #14

Look for Skylink.com or Amazon you can find it there.
e3belectrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #15

Try Here: Remote

SinCityKid is offline   Reply With Quote