Remote Control For Aircompressor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

remote control for aircompressor

I need a remote control that can handle a 1.5h.p. 15amp tankless air compressor.I have tried ones you can buy at the hardware store but they quit working after a few starts.Best one i could find is rated 13amps 960watts.The reason i need a remote is I'm on a ladder spraying drywall texture and only want to run compressor on demand.

Advertisement

Last edited by rick taylor; 12-01-2010 at 08:17 PM.
rick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Ayuh,... It would be easier to put a valve on the workin' end of the air hose,...

The compressor will only run if you're using air...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

It is a tankless air compressor to provide constent cfm .I have a air shut off / adjustment valve at the gun but the motor still runs.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,504

Install a pressure switch in the line.
Or instead of turning the compressor off with the remote. Turn off a contactor that switches the compressor. The contactor will be minimal power but be able to switch the power needed for the compressor.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,214

Could you convert an extension cord into a switch leg? Then just drag the switch/cord with you---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Could you convert an extension cord into a switch leg? Then just drag the switch/cord with you---
Ayuh,... Great idea,... A toggle switch on the workin' end, 'n tape it to the air hose...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #7

Extention cord is not good idea.I'm looking for a extra heavy duty remote control outlet that plugs in the wall outlet.The compressor is only regulated by the 100lb pressure relief valve it is not like one with a tank. Air shoots straight thru compressor to the hose to the gun. A compressor with tank will shut off automatically when it gets it's regulated psi.This compressor is designed to give constant air flow high cfm but lower psi but you need to shut it down manually or by remote control.With a tank aircompressor if you use high cfm you are always playing catch up to full the tank back up air pressure goes up and down.Like i said before i have a remote i just need one that will carry a heavy load. Thanks for your replies.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

all you need to do is use a switch to control a relay that is capable of handling the load. The problem is it sounds like there will be a lot of on/off cycles which is hard on the contacts of the relay. You are dealing with a 15 amp inductive load. Make sure the relay is rated for the load.

If you want to make this safer, you can add in a control transformer and drop your control circuit down to 12 or 24 volts. That way you wouldn't be holding a 120 volts switch in your hand but only 12 or 24 volts.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #9

I don't need any extra junk i just want to find a extra heavy duty remote control power outlet.It plugs in a wall outlet and the compressor plugs into it. I then carry a small on and off button in my pocket.Simple as that. I thought someone here would know where i could find one.I been looking on the web but they are rated to low they work for a while 2 or 3 months then stop working.Some company got to make one a for heavy appliance like for a 12000 btu wall airconditioner Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,504

Which devices have you tried? X10 appears to have some devices with built in 15 amp relay modules.

Quote:
X10 TM751 Transceiver Features

Receives X10 wireless signals from devices like MS16A, KR19A, HR12A, etc and transfers them to the powerline as PLC signals
User selectable house code
Built-in 15A relay module is hard coded to unit code 1
Compact size
Old 11-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #11

Thanks now were talking. I have been to their web site pop ups on every click. I email them last nite asking for their highest amp rated remote control outlet and just send me a bunch of their pop up ads no real answers.It seem to be more about controling things when you are away from home via telephone/pc.I will look there again with your model numbers. Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #12

Went back to x-10 the only real heavy duty one is 220volt They do have a 120 volt 20 amp but it's a hardwired outlet with built in remote receiver device. I guess i will quit looking
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick taylor View Post
I don't need any extra junk i just want to find a extra heavy duty remote control power outlet.It plugs in a wall outlet and the compressor plugs into it. I then carry a small on and off button in my pocket.Simple as that. I thought someone here would know where i could find one.I been looking on the web but they are rated to low they work for a while 2 or 3 months then stop working.Some company got to make one a for heavy appliance like for a 12000 btu wall airconditioner Thanks

extra junk? It's exactly what you want with a couple small exceptions:

1. It will work.

2. Rather than plugging into the wall like a wall wart transformer, it can be a small 4" cube junction box with a cord coming out of it and a receptacle for your compressor to plug into.

I guess if that is too much extra junk, you will have to deal with what you can find on the market that keeps you going for a couple month at a time.

After all, this is a DIY site, not a "where can I buy something nobody makes" site.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #14

nap it's over my head i need to buy something off the shelf wiring is not my thing.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick taylor View Post
nap it's over my head i need to buy something off the shelf wiring is not my thing.
That's cool but if you want to consider building something, just ask. Didn't mean to be snarky but it sounded more like you weren't willing to do anything, not just felt challenged. So, if you want to build something, just holler. There are several guys around here that can walk you through something that will take care of this.

Advertisement