Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2005, 03:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

remodeling kitchen and need electrcal help!

I've got a house built in the mid-50's so...need I explain more? Anyway...I've got a wire feeding, 1 black and 1 white, no ground. I need to supply a dishwasher, disposal with a switch (for the disposal) and a GFCI outlet. Prefer to have the switch and outlet in same box. 1st attempt, when I turned the power back on at the panel, everything worked but disposal was on with switch on off position....turned the switch on and the breaker blew...where'd I go wrong, and if possible, (but not a big deal if not) some kind of diagram would be appreciated in a big way!!!!

joeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 250

joe,
There are times when DIY is not the best or safest way to go about things. Electricity is one of the major ones. While I commend any DIY project if you are not experienced with wiring I would recommend you hire a professional to wire your new kitchen. You and your family will be safer.

One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeronimo
I've got a house built in the mid-50's so...need I explain more? Anyway...I've got a wire feeding, 1 black and 1 white, no ground. I need to supply a dishwasher, disposal with a switch (for the disposal) and a GFCI outlet. Prefer to have the switch and outlet in same box. 1st attempt, when I turned the power back on at the panel, everything worked but disposal was on with switch on off position....turned the switch on and the breaker blew...where'd I go wrong, and if possible, (but not a big deal if not) some kind of diagram would be appreciated in a big way!!!!
Need more info.Where did the wire come from/go to in the first place?Are you doing a complete kitchen remodel or just trying to upgrade appliances?Is it a /12 gauge wire/20A circut?You do not want all three of those on the same circut.You should have all three seperate,but at the very least put the disposal and the dishwasher on a seperate DEDICATED 20A circut(12 gauge wire is a must!!!) and the GFCI on another 20A dedicated.
donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
World famous jerk.

Rewards Points: 250

It is a code violation to intermix your fixed in place appliances on the same circuit as your countertop small appliance receptacles. The advice to hire a local electrician was sound advice.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
I'm just stirring the:

Rewards Points: 75

There are several things I willnot touch as a DIYer, Electrical is HIGH on that list.
I'll change out a plug or switch, I'll even instal lighting fixtures, but NOTHING that requires new runs, NOTHING that involves the pannel, and NOTHING that has to do with 220 whatsoever is on my to do list.

Having said that there are a lot of DIY folks that know a lot more than I do but there are some things that only trained and experienced folks should do.

Rewiring a kitchen is certainly one of them.

With all due respect, you proved this to yourself when you popped that breaker.

The price of failure could be someone's name on a granite block. Call an electricitan.

CGofMP is offline   Reply With Quote