Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10


can I just get architect to put all my ideas on paper and then go to town to get permits and do all by my self? I'm located at Mahwah, NJ

DarekAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,837
Rewards Points: 2,472


Some areas require a licensed contractor to pull the permit. Call your building officials.

Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000


What ideas ?
I've done most of my own plans
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10


I think to remodeling entire house, and finish basement ( plus rise up ceiling at list 2' on one level ) It's split level house.
DarekAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
DIY staff

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,153
Rewards Points: 2,948


An architect can design and make your drawings--Bring lots of photos and make a drawing of your house with measurements so he or she will understand what you are hoping to do.

Your local building department will tell you what you can do and what you need to hire out.

Some areas do not allow a homeowner to do electrical or plumbing--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Residential Designer
AndyGump's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,316
Rewards Points: 548
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump


Here in California I know that you can hire an Architect to do drawings for you, go to the Planning and Building Departments and pull your own permits and do the work yourself.
Depending on the size and scope of the project you may need an engineer involved too. You can also use a designer to do the same thing, that is what I do for people.
As long as you do the work as shown on an approved set of plans yes, you can do all that.


AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-09-2011)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
remodeling basement.....question on building ledge bigbrad123 Building & Construction 2 10-20-2010 12:35 PM
Remodeling a converted carport scarymary Introductions 2 04-18-2010 08:14 AM
Remodeling during winter - safety? Snav General DIY Discussions 8 02-17-2010 07:58 PM
Remodeling Kitchen/Bath - Where to Begin??? msmiller36 Roofing/Siding 1 01-06-2010 04:44 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.