Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

Share |

Relocating oven circuit

Hello. I have a kitchen island circa 1985 that has a Jenn Aire electric cooktop installed when the home was built.The power, 220, comes up through the floor into the island. I am now going to eliminate the island completely,install a new wood floor to cover and switch to a gas cooktop on another part of the counter and add a double electric oven. My question is can the 40a circuit service wire used for the island cooktop be extended, through the use of a box in the crawlspace, I suppose, about 10 ft to the wall where the double electric oven will be?.The house is on a crawl space so there is fairly good access to the wire. Can these wires be extended a short distance or do I have to do what I think I have to do. Thanks.

bonehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Relocating oven circuit

It wouold depend on the number of conductors that currently feed the old setup. New installs need a 4 wire circuit.

The ampacity would also have to be the same or greater than the new equipment.

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #3

Relocating oven circuit

Generally, a double oven needs a larger circuit than a cooktop (40 to 50 amp as opposed to 30 amp) Just because the breaker is a 40 amp doesn't mean that the circuit is a 40.

Check wire size. If it is #8 copper, your double oven will work.

Can you use it for a new installation? Gray area. New installations require a 4 wire circuit with the neutral (white) and ground (bare) seperate. Older installations allowed a 3 wire circuit combining the neutral and ground. If you wre simple replacing the unit, no problem, code would allow it. Since you are moving it a bit....gray area in most cases.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Relocating oven circuit

If your new oven is only 240 volts and not dual voltage 120/240 and meets the requirements for a 40 amp branch circuit as 220/221 said I see no reason why you cannot extend it. If it requires 120/240 and the existing branch circuit only has 3 wires I don't believe it would be allowed to be extended. Only your codes department can approve it one way or the other.

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

Relocating oven circuit

Thanks for the help. I had an electrician come over and he said he could extend the wire without much problem at all whether the new oven is 3 or 4 wire. It's #8 wire so he said it will run the double oven with no problems.I don't know if the new oven needs split voltage though, he said not to worry.
Hope he's correct.
bonehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Relocating oven circuit

There isn't any thing that prevents him from extending a 3 wire circuit for 240 volts. There also isn't any giant danger in extending a 3 wire circuit for a 120/240 volt appliance. It is however a code violation unless your local code department will sign off on it. 4 wire branch circuits are now required... to be able to remove the neutral to ground bond of the appliance chassis and they offer a degree of safety over 3 wire connections.

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote