Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Share |

Relocate outlet

My last question here was so successful, I thought I would give another question a go...

I recently installed new counter tops, and wouldn't you know that one of the old counters didn't have a backslash on it and my new ones do SO naturally there is now one plug where the bottom outlet is blocked by the backslash. Is it possible to relocate this outlet up about 4inches?
tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Remodeler

Relocate outlet

Can't say with certainty either way without knowing exactly what is behind the wall. You need to know if there is anything above the current box behind the wall and you also need to know if the wire that feeds that outlet has slack enough to be able to be relocated 4" up. Without getting a video snake behind the wall or cutting off a decent size hole of the drywall to look behind there, you won't know if it can be done.
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #3

Relocate outlet

Why not leave the box there and use an extension box or extension rings. 4" is pretty deep, so I'm not sure if you could find a standard one. Maybe gang up 2 extension rings and one mug ring? You could get 4" that way. Then it would be like the rest.
Of course you can move the box, if you must.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

Relocate outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Why not leave the box there and use an extension box or extension rings. 4" is pretty deep, so I'm not sure if you could find a standard one. Maybe gang up 2 extension rings and one mug ring? You could get 4" that way. Then it would be like the rest.
Of course you can move the box, if you must.
sorry I think you misunderstood what I was asking, or I didn't ask it right .

I need to go UP 4 inches not out.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #5

Relocate outlet

Is the backsplash easy to cut? You could cut out the backsplash and leave it where it is, using extention rings......I think this is what J.V. was getting at. If the recep is fed into the box from below it, you may have an issue with the wire feeding it not being long enough to reach, in which case you will have to run a new piece of loomix to it (or romex, whatever it is called where you are) But if it looks ok where it is and you can just notch out the backsplash, that is one option to take.
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #6

Relocate outlet

yeah I thought about that, but I rather not notch out the counter top...well my wife rather I not .

So if the wire is not long enough, do I just get some romex (not sure what that is) and connect it to the current wires and then stick that up the wall into a new box? and I can then take the old one out?
Old 09-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #7

Relocate outlet

no, you will have to take out the existing run altogether, and run a new one. Can't make a splice that is not in a box, major nono. This will involve cutting holes in the wall to run the new one (if neccesary) and being careful (turn off breaker). It may be a heck of a lot easier to just notch the backsplash.......but if the missus doesn't want that, then I guess you best not....LOL
BCSparkyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #8

Relocate outlet

This could be simple and take less than 10 minutes.

Depends on the type of box, how many cables and where they come from.

Best case, plastic nail on box with one or two cables entering from the top.

Cut drywall up the necessary 4" (save the piece for your patch).

Remove recep,
Pry box off stud and remove or cut nails off flush.
Slide box up (remove staples if necessary)
Anchor box to stud with drywall screws
Screw in some backing and drywall patch
Install recep.
Replace recep

Worst case, it is a grouted block wall with wires coming in on all sides of the box.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote