Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Share |

Relay for alarm siren

I have a GE simon alarm system which has a port for an exterior siren. I have gone out and bought a larger siren to place in my attic so it will be very loud when it goes off. I ran the wire from the attic to my alarm control panel and hooked in the wire to the port, however, when the alarm goes off I can barely hear the siren (I can put my ear directly up to the siren and can barely hear anything). So the power cord for the panel is 9v and the siren can take 6-12 volts. Any ideas on how to make this thing work and be loud? Someone told me that I should run an outlet to the siren and then install a 120v to 12v relay with a trigger and then attach the wire from the panel. Please help! Thanks in advance.

etigercu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #2

Relay for alarm siren

Is the output for the alarm a signal or voltage. When in an "alarmed" stste, can you connect a meter to the port, as you say, and measure the voltage? Sometimes an auxilary siren requires more power than the panel can output, and may require a secondary power supply and relay.

TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #3

Relay for alarm siren

Yes, post a link to the siren.
I couldn't find specs on how much current this system can output at 9v.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

Relay for alarm siren

Thanks guys... ok here is the link to siren.

http://www.smarthome.com/7490/Weathe...BA-SS30/p.aspx

I put the volt meter on the terminals and it does show 12volts. I also re-read the manual and the one section on the siren does say that one of the terminals that I am using provides the positive voltage, it says that the total current from the terminal is 250ma....if that helps at all..

Here is a link to the user manual....thanks so much for your help!

http://www.emgalarm.com/assets/docs/...sersManual.pdf

Thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #5

Relay for alarm siren

Siren is a 700 ma rating. Your panel can't output enough power to operate that horn. You need a power supply large enough to drive the siren that can be turned on by the alarm panel signal.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #6

Relay for alarm siren

I installed a system a few years ago (not GE) and I had to put in a separate horn driver module to power the horns. Yours might require the same. Check with an alarm distributor that carries your panel.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #7

Relay for alarm siren

Ok, if the siren is rated for 700ma...is there a way to up the current once it leaves the panel to go from 250ma to 700ma? I already have the siren so I would love to use it if possible.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #8

Relay for alarm siren

Quote:
Originally Posted by etigercu View Post
Thanks guys... ok here is the link to siren.

http://www.smarthome.com/7490/Weathe...BA-SS30/p.aspx

I put the volt meter on the terminals and it does show 12volts. I also re-read the manual and the one section on the siren does say that one of the terminals that I am using provides the positive voltage, it says that the total current from the terminal is 250ma....if that helps at all..

Here is a link to the user manual....thanks so much for your help!

http://www.emgalarm.com/assets/docs/...sersManual.pdf

Thanks
If the alarm can source 250 mA and siren takes 700 then the voltage across the alarm while connected to the siren should be ~4v.
If you want to use an electromechanical relay to solve this ask the manuf. for a recommendation. Using a solid state relay is less critical but they cost more.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-07-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #9

Relay for alarm siren

Thanks for all the responses, so let me make sure I understand:

I can either go and get a siren that runs on 250ma or use one of these relays you mention to make this one work. Am I correct in saying that a 250ma siren will not be as loud?

Also, are there any links to these relay's that you could send me...sorry I have no idea what these different types are that you are talking about. I guess I will call the manufacture as well.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #10

Relay for alarm siren

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses, so let me make sure I understand:

I can either go and get a siren that runs on 250ma or use one of these relays you mention to make this one work. Am I correct in saying that a 250ma siren will not be as loud?

Also, are there any links to these relay's that you could send me...sorry I have no idea what these different types are that you are talking about. I guess I will call the manufacture as well.

Thanks
A 700 mA siren will be about 4.4 decibels louder than a 250 mA siren.

To run the 700 mA siren you need a wall transformer that puts out about 1A at 6v to 12v. Hosfelt.com part number 56-977, 9v, 1A, $3.49. If the siren can stand slightly over 12v we could go with a 12v transformer. The 'formers only put out the rated voltage at the rated current so a 1A 'former supplying 0.7A will be slightly higher than 12v.

Relay, part number 91-330 will work and it costs $0.39. You'll need a socket for it, it can't stand soldering temperatures.

You'll need a diode across the relay coil to suppress the 'coil transient' unless the relay already has one inside it, or unless your alarm has transient suppression circuitry on its 250 mA output.
1N4148, $.05.

http://www.electronics-related.com/u...ow/58435-1.php

If the alarm output doesn't already protect itself against short circuits I recommend a 32v fuse; 200 mA or so should do it.

Now, here's the problem. 30w at 12v is 2.5A; how can this siren only pull 700 mA?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-08-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #11

Relay for alarm siren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
A 700 mA siren will be about 4.4 decibels louder than a 250 mA siren.

To run the 700 mA siren you need a wall transformer that puts out about 1A at 6v to 12v. Hosfelt.com part number 56-977, 9v, 1A, $3.49. If the siren can stand slightly over 12v we could go with a 12v transformer. The 'formers only put out the rated voltage at the rated current so a 1A 'former supplying 0.7A will be slightly higher than 12v.

Relay, part number 91-330 will work and it costs $0.39. You'll need a socket for it, it can't stand soldering temperatures.

You'll need a diode across the relay coil to suppress the 'coil transient' unless the relay already has one inside it, or unless your alarm has transient suppression circuitry on its 250 mA output.
1N4148, $.05.

http://www.electronics-related.com/u...ow/58435-1.php

If the alarm output doesn't already protect itself against short circuits I recommend a 32v fuse; 200 mA or so should do it.

Now, here's the problem. 30w at 12v is 2.5A; how can this siren only pull 700 mA?

THANKS! I am starting to think that I should look for a different siren. I looked around but don't see any that are 250ma...Do you see any? I wasn't aware that it would only be 4.4 db's less...thats not too much at all
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #12

Relay for alarm siren

Quote:
THANKS! I am starting to think that I should look for a different siren. I looked around but don't see any that are 250ma...Do you see any? I wasn't aware that it would only be 4.4 db's less...thats not too much at all
A quick search shows that for a loudness of 120 db you need at least 14w.
http://www.smarthome.com/72762/Elk-O...en-SS30/p.aspx
@ 1 meter distance. A car horn might do 118 db at 2 meters, so 121 db @ 1 meter.

0.7A @ 12v is 8w. I don't have a good feeling about this conflict. Ask them at what distance this loudness was measured.

Let's just use a relay with at least a 48 ohm coil and >1A contacts.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-08-2010 at 09:45 PM.