Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Share |

Reflective Lighting - Ideas Wanted

Looking for ideas for hidden reflective lighting in a vaulted/cathedral ceiling situationa. Specifically where boxed beams and/or collar ties are utilized to mount the lighting. Thinking for primary lighting for a room, but not extremely bright, since the room would also have lamps on the tables. Having the ability to dim the lights would also be nice. Energy efficient LED lighting would be awesome as well.

I've seen a few ideas using rope lighting, but does it get bright enough? Track lighting is pretty difficult to hide, but seems like it could produce a lot of projected/reflected light. Any nice LED type fixtures out there?

Would love to hear/see some ideas!

Thanks!

scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #2

This is exactly the effect I'm looking for...

Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Bumping this back up...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #4

Are you using "real" solid wood beams, or "faux", as in the picture?

In what stage of construction are you? If the ceiling is already finished, it's going to be a real pain to hide the wiring going to the lights on top of the beam.

Are the beams collar beams (like in the picture)? If so, how much of a gap is there to the ceiling.

One idea might be to extend the sides (if the beams are solid) or to use channel faux beams to hide the lights and fixtures. But that depends on how much space you have.

LEDs would probably be a good (but pricey) idea, since it's not going to be fun to replace those bulbs when they burn out.
Attached Thumbnails
Reflective Lighting - Ideas Wanted-ceilinglight.jpg  
Dave632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply!

The beams will be real. Well... they will be boxed in collar ties, actually. Everything is open right now. Just planning out my electrical.

The collar ties sandwich the rafters (2x6) so, there is 1-1/2" between. BUT! When I box them, I COULD go a bit higher than the collar tie height on the sides. That would give me a place for the wires to run, and a 4-1/2" wide cavity, the length of the boxed beam, to sit the light fixtures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave632 View Post
Are you using "real" solid wood beams, or "faux", as in the picture?

In what stage of construction are you? If the ceiling is already finished, it's going to be a real pain to hide the wiring going to the lights on top of the beam.

Are the beams collar beams (like in the picture)? If so, how much of a gap is there to the ceiling.

One idea might be to extend the sides (if the beams are solid) or to use channel faux beams to hide the lights and fixtures. But that depends on how much space you have.

LEDs would probably be a good (but pricey) idea, since it's not going to be fun to replace those bulbs when they burn out.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #6

If the luminaires are going to be hidden, why not go with linear fluorescent? It will be inexpensive to install and efficient to run. Dimming is not a real good idea, but you could install 2 circuits and have three-level lighting.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

Was at Lowes last night, and happened to take a stroll through the lighting section. Ran across the halogen type "pucks" intended for under-cabinet lighting. They seem pretty bright, but noticed they weren't intended for direct wiring, and had their own wiring provisions. Could these be wired differently and ran as "up lighting"?

Actually starting to think that maybe I'll just do one projection style light at each end of each beam, and just point them up the ceiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post
If the luminaires are going to be hidden, why not go with linear fluorescent? It will be inexpensive to install and efficient to run. Dimming is not a real good idea, but you could install 2 circuits and have three-level lighting.
Yeah, was thinking about that, as well. Good point about dimming. Probably not a great idea. I really want to be able to having dimming control in this room.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Keep it coming! You're getting the wheels turning for me! I got a little behind on the project, anyway. Typical home project.