Refinishing A Basement Room - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing a basement room

Going to replace the paneling, ceiling tiles with drywall and add more outlets (several computers in the room and Television/DVD/VCR etc.) I would also like to get rid of the track lighting and put in 6 recessed lights as well as 2 simple (40-60 watt) lights in the closet. Currently when I run my laser printer the lights go dim in the room. There is not a dedicated circuit to this room since it is an old house (1950) however we do have a 200 amp circuit panel with numerous empty slots as it was upgraded a few years ago before we bought the house. MY question: Can I run a 15 amp circuit using 14/2 for the recessed lighting and the closet lights, and then a 20 amp circuit using 12/2 to about 6 outlets maybe 2 of those being "double" outlets. I just think it would be too much to run the lighting and computer off the same circuit since I am already having dimming problems currently. This is a Minnesota residence.

Thanks

Advertisement

jacads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

Sounds good. I believe most people prefer to run 14/2 for lights and 12/2 for receptacles. You just can't combine the two and if you do then you can only put them on 15 amps. Don't quote me on this but as long as you have less than 12 outlets on a circuit you should be OK. You have more knowledgeable guys than me in here, give it a few minutes and I am sure they will chime in.

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

How many computers and what is the average wattage of them?

Total load of the tv system?

What is the pull of the laser printer?

Estimate loads are ok...I'm not sure how you can fit all of that stuff on a 20 unless they are small...
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

14/2 is fine for the lights. 12/2 is fine for the outlets. But I would use another circuit for the computer and use a APC surge suppressor. The printer cannot be plugged into the surge suppressor, so use a double duplex outlet in this area.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote