Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Reducing voltage from 9v to 3v

I've got a project idea in mind. I want to make a simple, effective wireless system for a guitar using 2 walkie-talkies (audio fidelity isn't a huge issue for me, so this seems like a viable option). I'd like to connect the "receiver" to my universal power supply on my pedalboard. However, the walkie-talkie runs on 2 1.5v batteries, and the power supply outputs 9v. What would be an effective way to reduce the voltage in order to use the walkie-talkie with the power supply?

Thanks,
Alex

guitargeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #2

Don't know if any info will help you in this thread Dangermouse asked the same Question 9v DC to 3v DC

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

You'd need an actual voltage regulator in this case. The load will vary, so a simple resistor won't work.

A Fairchild FAN1587AT33 will work. It's 4.6 to 12 volts input, and 3.3 volts out. Up to 3 amps. Comes in a TO-220 case, so it's easy to mount, and a cinch to connect. They cost around $2.

You'll also need a suitable heatsink.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Why not get a wireless mic and receiver set? The batteries should last much longer than hijacking a set of walkie-talkies.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #5

300zx: I saw that thread, but it didn't help me much, so I figured I'd sign up for this forum & just start a new thread.

micromind: Thanks! That seems like it'll work, hopefully. There's an electrical shop not too far from me; sometime next week I'll stop in & see if they've got that. What would make a suitable heatsink? I have a few I pulled from old computers, but I'm not sure if they'd work or not.

kbsparky: The short answer is, I'm broke. But, more specifically, I like building stuff like this myself sometimes. I've built instruments before, and I just got done building a speaker cabinet from extra parts, but I'm new to more advanced (i.e: any kind of) electrical work like this, so I figured this'd be a good place to look. That, and it'd be funny to tell people what my wireless system is; I already get plenty of funny & confused looks when I try to explain my live setup :D
guitargeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

This is adjustable
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM317.html

Depending on the current draw you can also use a 3.0v +/- 5% Zener diode, or 3 or 4 junk box silicon diodes in series to act as a Zener. You then need a dropping resistor.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Idiot Emeritus

A heatsink that's about 2" X 2" should work. If the existing mounting holes won't work, feel free to drill a new one.

I can't remember if this chip has an isolated mounting tab or not. If it doesn't, and the chip is mounted directly to the heatsink, the heatsink will be at DC-. This should be OK in your case, but if it needs to be isolated, just get a TO-220 mounting kit. Otherwise, just bolt it straight to the heatsink.

Rob

micromind is offline   Reply With Quote