DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Recommended wire for fuse box (

jngtexas 05-03-2007 08:17 AM

Recommended wire for fuse box
I have purchased a fixerupper and I am relocating the fuse box from inside my daughters future closet (against an outside wall) into the hall adjacent to her room. I purchased a fuse box and a service disconnect. Do I need SER/SEU to run between the two? The wire will be less than 15 feet long and I am running them in conduit. The local supply store said I could use 6/3 with a ground since my service is 100A.

Thanks for your help. I've been watching the forum for months and finaly getting to start on my remodel.

hbsparky 05-03-2007 09:26 AM

#2 copper conductors for 100 amp.

jwhite 05-03-2007 06:24 PM

If the fuse box that you are moving is the main box for the house, you may not be able to move it so easy.

As the wires fly, from the meter to the panel must be the shortest distance possible.

Please explain your situation more clearly.

jngtexas 05-04-2007 07:22 AM

Two bedrooms are back to back with their closets between them. The panel in now located in the closet that is against the outside wall. It is a smaller house so the nearest place that I have 30" clear for the box is in the hallway that leads to the bedrooms. The only other place with the needed clearance would be behind the bedroom door. IE when the door is open the box would be covered, I imagine that would not be allowed. What do you suggest?

The panel that is in the house now was installed in 1943 and has only two breakers for the whole house, so an upgrade is also in order. The house is 1200 sq ft 3 bedroom single bath.


jwhite 05-04-2007 03:14 PM

A panel may not be installed in a cloths closet, or any room with easily igniteable materal.

One option would be to install a meter main combo panel outside the house, then you could run wire to a sub-panel in the hall.

Or you could just get a big enough meter main panel to have all the stuff stay outside.

jngtexas 05-04-2007 03:40 PM

Is it not to code to have a main fused disconnect outside attached to the meter feeding a main panel inside? It is not common to see outside fuse panels in this area though I have thought about installing one. I don't have good outside clearance near the service entrance for a box. If installing this in the hall is not to code even thought the cable is in protected conduit and fused at the service entrance I may have to make room outside.

hbsparky 05-04-2007 03:42 PM

ha thats funny, Meter panel combos are all we install in california

jwhite 05-04-2007 04:04 PM

You did not mention that you have a main fused disconnect outside the house.

If that is the case then the panel inside the house is not a main, it is a sub panel. You can run that all the way to the other end of the house if you want. Just be sure to pull an SER cable instead of an SE cable. The SER has the required additional ground wire. Also at the sub panel, keep your grounds and neutrals seperate.

Regarding clearance. It is also required around the meter anyway.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1