Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Fox
Rough around the edges...

Rewards Points: 75

Recessed Smoke Detector / Fire Alarm / Other Names for Things that Beep Around Fire

I found this. Are they all this expensive? (Especially for one using standard ionization methods.) Does anyone recommend another? One that doesn't look like a wart growing on the ceiling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one, actually. This is just some backstory if you're interested
I didn't like the hallway lights in my girlfriend's place, so I'm removing one fixture, replacing it with two recessed 4" lights. (I'll post another thread about that project.)

So the other light needed to go right where a smoke detector was installed. Hurray, the hole is already cut, just like the other. So I take the detector down and realize it isn't connected to the other one upstairs. I frown, but remember this house was built in '86 and that probably wasn't code in VA at that time.

I'm considering how far to offset the alarm from the light when I realize I'm going through all this hassle of making recessed lights, this bump on the ceiling is going to look like crap by comparison. So I wonder if they make recessed smoke detectors...and I can't find any. Is there a reason for this?

I also thought about it and realized the bedrooms upstairs don't have smoke detectors either, so I'll likely be rewiring all the upstairs ones to interconnect with each other, but I'd like to get some attractive ones. At least this one doesn't look horrid, is cheaper, and has more features.
Probably over-doing it a bit, but I do that. We already have one with ADT on the top floor, but I believe that's the only one built into the security system. (That one is uglier than the rest so I'd rather not have them all over the house either.)

Thank you in advance for any opinions on the matter!

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Recessed Smoke Detector / Fire Alarm / Other Names for Things that Beep Around Fire

So your worried about looks over safey?

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Fox

I believe, for that to be true, I would need to be of the following mindset:

"I'm not going to install a smoke detector unless it looks fashionable."

I am of the mindset:

"This house isn't up to code; that's unsafe and I'm going to change that. What's the best looking smoke detectors I can get and why can't I find recessed ones?"

I believe those two are very different mindsets.

I've since found one but am forced to laugh at the price. I can't begin to understand why it could cost that much but I'm sure it is for reasons I don't need. I just want it flat against the ceiling and am confused why such a construction model is so difficult. Smoke rises!
Old 07-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Kidde and Firex also have 110V alarms w/9v 10 year battery back-up, $12.00 - $15.00. I do not think anyone makes a flush smoke alarm. And really, how many times have you looked at the life safety equipment in the last year?
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
Fox

I appreciate functionality and a job well done, but if I'm making a hallway look sleek and open by installing recessed lights, I'd prefer not to have anything jutting out. It's purely aesthetic, yes. Was just curious if anyone knew anything about such things. I'll likely pick up a Kiddie Silhouette (or several)

Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,436

Check to see if this will work.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/03/a...moke-detector/

You might also be able to relocate the smoke to a different area.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSilanskas View Post
So your worried about looks over safey?
They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,036

Air currents have to easily move through a smoke detector. Just putting one in a recess that you designed yourself may result in slower sensing of smoke and a fire.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-25-2010 at 12:36 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Fox

AllanJ: Touche.

Jim: That looks awesome; seems to be a tease though. 4 years old and still no way to buy it. :/ I may mount the smoke detector on the wall near the ceiling by the door; it already juts out that far anyway, just need to avoid the framing studs.
I'll just need to reroute the existing electrical wiring and hope it goes far enough. I've heard I can't be less than 4 inches from the ceiling, (which seems daft) but I assume that's just to avoid cutting into the wall studs.

Proby: Exactly; thank you.

I have to get some insight from the lady of the house, but she probably isn't all that interested. She's the artist, surprisingly, and I'm the one more concerned about interior design!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Actually...NOT within 4" of the ceiling/corner
Within 12"

Doh....you said that

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Fox

Right, can't be less than 4 inches.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,436

These should be available.

http://silhouette.kidde.com/
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Fox

Aye, the Silhouette has been the front runner if I'm required to keep it on the ceiling (and never requires a battery change!) though the "HomeHero" doesn't look completely miserable either, and, has wireless connectivity to network to the other smoke detectors, a big bonus for me as I'd rather not run signaling wire between floors at the moment.

I have to call ADT. A smoke detector going off at night is wonderful if it will save our lives, but why not also have one that summons the fire department when we're at work? (thought ADT smoke detectors all seem to be wireless and battery-operated, and ugly, something that bothers me)

There's also the issue that all 'designer' smoke detectors right now are ionization based and don't detect smoldering fires very well. I should really place photoelectric in the bedrooms.

I'm just going to have to make a decision, and figure out how much work I want to do. (I should probably also buy one of each and see which looks best.) None are going to do everything I'd like. Though I'm curious if all Kiddie alarms use the same signaling technology. If a HomeHero wired into a Silhouette will set each other off as they should. This PDF seems to indicate you can, as long as two wireless aren't on the same hardwired system. I find it amusing they'll just keep setting each other off if you do. (Wireless & hardwired loop)

Thanks for all the help! I probably know more about smoke detectors than anyone on this forum ever wanted to at this point. *grin*