Recessed Lights, Using LED's, No Room For A Housing... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recessed lights, using LED's, no room for a housing...

The lighting in our living room is terrible. Really, we have a cieling fan in the middle of the room, with four of the mini...nearly "decorative" only...incandescent bulbs in it. Our television literally produces more light than the fan.

Now the problem is that we like to sit in our chairs and read and blah blah blah...we want more lights. With a toddler and a crawling baby, we do not want lamps. Three of the walls are exterior walls with oddball top caps and a funky 2x4 going across them, for what reason we have never learned, about 8" below the top caps...wall mounted lighting would be difficult. It's also not what we want.

We really like the light produced by the utilitech recessed LED retrofits like they sell at Lowes and Home Depot...but housings are all too tall. We only have about 7" of workable room above the drywall in most places. It's tight. Even the low-profile cans are too tall or too bulky to get into all but one of the places we want a light.

Now, what I've been wondering is just how hot do these LED retrofit fixtures get? I'm contemplating making an either aluminum or poly plate that'll mount to the ceiling and pull the drywall away from the light, then hold the light in place against the plate using springs. I have some low profile ABS junction boxes I could put over each light to keep the insulation off of them. My biggest problem with just doing this is heat. If these thigns get real hot, I'll have to think of another way to pull it off.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for alternatives?

Advertisement

makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,210

Quote:
Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
The lighting in our living room is terrible. Really, we have a cieling fan in the middle of the room, with four of the mini...nearly "decorative" only...incandescent bulbs in it. Our television literally produces more light than the fan.

Now the problem is that we like to sit in our chairs and read and blah blah blah...we want more lights. With a toddler and a crawling baby, we do not want lamps. Three of the walls are exterior walls with oddball top caps and a funky 2x4 going across them, for what reason we have never learned, about 8" below the top caps...wall mounted lighting would be difficult. It's also not what we want.

We really like the light produced by the utilitech recessed LED retrofits like they sell at Lowes and Home Depot...but housings are all too tall. We only have about 7" of workable room above the drywall in most places. It's tight. Even the low-profile cans are too tall or too bulky to get into all but one of the places we want a light.

Now, what I've been wondering is just how hot do these LED retrofit fixtures get? I'm contemplating making an either aluminum or poly plate that'll mount to the ceiling and pull the drywall away from the light, then hold the light in place against the plate using springs. I have some low profile ABS junction boxes I could put over each light to keep the insulation off of them. My biggest problem with just doing this is heat. If these thigns get real hot, I'll have to think of another way to pull it off.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions for alternatives?
What is a "top cap"? Do you have existing cans in the ceiling or not? Low profile cans will easily fit in a 7" space.

Advertisement

Last edited by brric; 10-21-2012 at 05:38 PM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #3

Tops of the walls are two 2x4 thick.

There are no existing cans.

I have not been able to find cans that are less than 7" in height.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,390

Home Depot and others sell a LED disk light thag can be used to retrofit existkng 5-6" cans. They will also mount to a regular 4" ceiling box.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 672

Over head lighting is useless when trying to read or watch TV. If you insist on it being over head low hat can lights would fit.
Far better off just using wall outlets with pole or desk type lights.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

You cannot "manufacture" your own lighting fixtures. Home Depot carries Halo H27's. They are approximately 5" tall. Your other option are these LED disks they sell. They look alot like a recessed trim, but don't require the housing. They can mount to a regular 4" fixture box.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
stickboy1375 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #7

I'll look at the H27's and see if they'll clear the roof. I can't remember the model they had but the one labeled as "low profile" still needed a hair over 7" (8" before drywall), to fit. Of course, those disk lights are perfect. I haven't seen them. I'll go in and ask specifically later.

Advertisement