Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recessed Lights problem

hello everyone got a problem with my recessed lights.

here is what i have done so far.

i installed 8 new cans 6 on one switch and 2 on another. installed a new 15 amp circut and then ran wire to a junction box. ran 2 diffrent wires to the switches and then to the cans. when i turn the circuit on the 2 lights on one switch come on but cannot be controlled from the switch. the other 6 lights do not work. i check power in all the wires and they all have power in them but cannot be turned on. trying to figure out where i went wrong. i checked all the watts per switch and they are not overloaded. i used 12-2 wire and made all the connections black to black, white to white and ground to ground. On the dimmer switches it had 2 black wires and one green. wired white and black to 2 black wires and green to ground. Can anyone help? thanks in advance

Boycer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 20

Recessed Lights problem

If the power comes into the switch box the whites will just splice through. You need a constant hot on on side of the switch and the switched black going out to the lights.

If you brought power into the lights first let us know.

Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #3

Recessed Lights problem

thanks for your reply jim. i ran power to the switch first and then to the lights. i think thats what you are asking me? im new to electric im a carpenter and doing this on my house.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Licensed Pro

Recessed Lights problem

If you brought power to the switch box, NO white wires will be connected to a switch. Connect all the whites together (incoming and out to the lights. Connect a black incoming wire to one switch screw (or black wire on dimmer) and the outgoing black wire to the other screw (wire).
Old 01-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #5

Recessed Lights problem

Ok so you have 2 wires coming from the junction box to a switch box with 2 switches in it? Take the black from one of the feed wires and hook it up to one of the wires on the dimmer. (if there is any lables that say line and load, hook it up to the line side) then take the black wire that leaves the switch box and goes to one of the light circuits and hook that up to the other wire on the dimmer (the load). then connect the two white wires together. Do the same with the other dimmer and set of wires. twist all the bare and green wires together. As long as the lights are hooked up right, this should work.
matapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:39 PM   #6

Recessed Lights problem

if you hooked up the dimmers across the black and white wires you might have burnt out the dimmer.
matapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

Recessed Lights problem

on the dimmer instruction it says for incandescent/halogen fixtures. i used the halo contractor packs from home depot with flood lights could this be the problem?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM   #8

Recessed Lights problem

Those cans are fine with your dimmers. The problem is in your wiring from what you have said. Are the two switches in the same box? Like mentioned in the previous posts above. The wire coming from the junction box to the switch box, the white wire gets wire nutted to the white wire going to the can lights and the black wire gets wire nutted to one of the black wires on the dimmer. The black from the wire going to the can lights gets wire nutted to the other black wire on the dimmer. Hopefully this makes sense. Ill try and draw a picture in a little while.
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Lights problem-lights.jpg  

Last edited by ponch37300; 01-31-2009 at 06:52 PM.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #9

Recessed Lights problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Those cans are fine with your dimmers. The problem is in your wiring from what you have said. Are the two switches in the same box? Like mentioned in the previous posts above. The wire coming from the junction box to the switch box, the white wire gets wire nutted to the white wire going to the can lights and the black wire gets wire nutted to one of the black wires on the dimmer. The black from the wire going to the can lights gets wire nutted to the other black wire on the dimmer. Hopefully this makes sense. Ill try and draw a picture in a little while.
no they are in different boxes
Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM   #10

Recessed Lights problem

ok went back and corrected the problem with the switches. connected the 2 white wires together and one of each black wires to the black switch wires, now none of the lights work and none of the NM that runs from each light has power when i tested it, anyone have an idea whats wrong?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #11

Recessed Lights problem

im gonna buy 2 new dimmer switches tomorrow and see if thats the problem. thanks for the help guys ill let you know how it works out
Old 01-31-2009, 11:23 PM   #12

Recessed Lights problem

Quote:
anyone have an idea whats wrong?
It didn't occur to you ro ask for instruction before the installation?

Quote:
installed a new 15 amp circut and then ran wire to a junction box. ran 2 diffrent wires to the switches and then to the cans.

With the info you have provided it's like me asking "Why doesn't my door work properly?"

Could be a lot of things but unless I give you the proper information, all you can do is guess.

Quote:
im gonna buy 2 new dimmer switches tomorrow and see if thats the problem

I'll buy new hinges for my door and see if that helps.

Before you ruin any dimmers simply hotwire the circuit with a wirenut in place of the dimmer to test the lights.

What you should have done is

1) Run the new circuit cable to the switch box.

2) Run a cable from the switch to the first can then from there to the next can.

3) Repeat that with the other set of cans.

It's so easy a caveman.....carpenter can do it
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #13

Recessed Lights problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
It didn't occur to you ro ask for instruction before the installation?

With the info you have provided it's like me asking "Why doesn't my door work properly?"

Could be a lot of things but unless I give you the proper information, all you can do is guess.

I'll buy new hinges for my door and see if that helps.

Before you ruin any dimmers simply hotwire the circuit with a wirenut in place of the dimmer to test the lights.

What you should have done is

1) Run the new circuit cable to the switch box.

2) Run a cable from the switch to the first can then from there to the next can.

3) Repeat that with the other set of cans.

It's so easy a caveman.....carpenter can do it

If you could read sparky you would see that i did exactly what you said i should have done. my inital problem was with the wiring of the dimmer switch. keep your smartass comment to yourself thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #14

Recessed Lights problem

Quote:
If you could read sparky you would see that i did exactly what you said i should have done

Quote:
installed a new 15 amp circut and then ran wire to a junction box. ran 2 diffrent wires to the switches and then to the cans.
Yeah...if I could read your mind.

If you ran the home run to the switch box and two different wires to the two sets of cans, it should be simple.

In the sw box tie all 3 whites together. Tie all grounds together. Leave two ground pigtails if it's a plastic box. Ground the box if it's metal. Install two pigtails (short pieces of black wire) on the incoming black. That gives you two hot leads. The remaining two blacks are the switch legs.

You wil end up with two pairs of black wires. The switch or dimmer simply connects/disconnects/alters the current going to the cans on the black wire. Always hotwire the circuit for testing purposes before you install dimmers.

Quote:
my inital problem was with the wiring of the dimmer switch. keep your smartass comment to yourself thanks
What fun would THAT be?

Did you get it fixed?
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #15

Recessed Lights problem

220/221...The two switches are in different boxes. Boycer...220/221 has a good idea about "hot wiring" the blacks to see if the lights work with no switch. How is the junction box wired? Should be your power wire coming in and a wire going to each switch. In the junction box the grounds should be tied together, the 3 whites tied together and the 3 blacks tied together. I'm not sure but you might have done something to the light bulbs if you crossed the blacks and whites. Before you put in the new dimmers do like mentioned and turn the circuit off and tie the black wires together and then turn circuit back on and the lights should turn on if wired correctly. Then if the lights work like this seperate the blacks and then install the dimmers. How are the can lights wired? Blacks tied together and whites tied together?

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote