Recessed Lights In Kitchen - Need Advice - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Recessed lights in kitchen - need advice

I currently have a flourescent light in my kitchen where I want to install 4 to 5 recessed lights and 2 pendant lights. When I shut off the breaker to the existing kitchen light, I realized there were 4 other room ceiling lights on the same breaker. For this reason, I feel it is necessary to probably install a new breaker and run the recessed and pendant lights on their own breakers. Please let me know if you would agree. Now, when I examined the kitchen light, it looks like power is feeded from the dining room to this junction box to power the kitchen, a bathroom and a closet light. I'm thinking that I should probably remove the kitchen wiring from this box and start fresh and tie off the other 3 wires. My question is, can I leave the three tied off wires concealed in a box in the ceiling? I thought I read once that it must be accessible. If I leave it close to one of the recessed lights I install, would that be considered accessible if it could be reached if the light can was removed? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Rick

Advertisement

rfranco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,776

Based on the limited data that only a couple of lights are on that circuit and not knowing the proposed load I would think you should be fine using the existing circuit.

You really need to figure out what else that circuit supplies. Does it also serve receptacles or lighting in other parts of the house? Is the circuit grounded?

All junction boxes must remain permanently accessible.

Advertisement

Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply Jim. Here is a bit more information. The circuit has 5 ceiling light fixtures on it from 5 different room, each 75 W max capacity, and there is also a bathroom exhaust fan on the circuit. No outlets are connected to this circuit. The circuit is grounded.

The circuit is a 15 A circuit.

Thanks!

Rick
rfranco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,776

You should be fine using the existing circuit.