Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Recessed lighting recommendation, led/cfl/halogen?

My very very close friend who happens to be a licensed electrician is doing a ton of work for me on my new house for some ridiculously cheap fee he wont even tell me. Anyways, I'm trying not to bother him as much as possible, which is why I'm on here. He is going to install recessed lighting in the majority of the house, MBR, 2BR, LR, HALL, KIT, BATH. About the only place that is not getting a recessed light somewhere is my office because its only 8'x8'.

I believe we will be using 5" recessed lights for most places and a few 4". We want very simple looking trim on them. I was trying to figure out what type of bulb I should be using. They will need to be dimmable and ideally have a good CRI, and low wattage.

I guess that is pushing me towards LED's but I was still under the impression that they had not matured yet. Any recommendations, thoughts?

nowwhatnapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Good questions and I have been researching the same thing as well.

Forget Halogen.....they are essentually an incandescent bulb with halogen gas in them....great color, but they run hot and are only about 10% more effecient than incandescent....and when you dim them, the temp drops down and you loose the tungston re-deposition characteristic.

I like CFL's....lots of flexibility and options.....but dimming becomes an issue. The dimmable bulbs are not much cheaper than LED.

So that leaves LED...while I don't think LED's are the 'holly grail' of lighting, they have come a long ways....I just bought my first LED lamp at HD...8w job for $24....nice color...hard to tell the difference between it and a similar sized CFL.

5" cans that I have seen will take just about any bulb.....assuming Edison base..

The 4" cans I have seen are pretty much pin fluorescent cans....

The only 4" LED's I have seen so far are basically a trim that you just shove into a hole in the ceiling. Some of those are Low Volatage and require a transformer.....

LOTS of options.

One thing to consider...if you have some spots for 5" cans that will not need to be dimmable....use CFL's...bulbs are cheap...and you can play with light levels just by changing the bulb....in a typical 5" can, you can go from 5w up to about 30w.

I would suggest a trip to HD or Lowes and then a lighting only store....do the touch and feel.....so many options.

For reference....I have 16 6" recessed cans in my garage...with now they have 23w CFL PAR lamps....what is nice is that I can put in larger lamps and change color easily.

One last thing....look up GU24...it's a 2 pin base for LED's and CFL's....gives you a shorter bulb....and meets a lot of energy codes for high effeciency lighting.

Good luck

jeepdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Personally, I like these LED ones, with a lamp by Cree, but they are for 6 inch cans. The color is very much like an incandescent bulb when they are at full brightness. But they don't shift to red as you dim them, which you will notice. They turn on fine fully dimmed. Everyone who has seen them likes them.

I bought some Commercial Electric 4" LED ones for a closet, figuring it didn't matter much. The turn on delay bothers me, and they won't start if they are dimmed more than half way. I beleive that 4 inch ones like the 6 inch I linked above are now available. I don't know about 5 inch models.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Well your comments definitly helped. I am leaning towards LED at the moment, but I am realizing I can't pick specific bulbs until I figure out where the lights will be placed. So on that note... here are the room dimensions: (may be off by a few inches) Feel free to chime in with your suggestions. In the mean time I will go browse the interwebs for information on proper recessed light spacing, angles, sizes etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #5

I couldn't resist those Cree downlights thadsaab posted. After looking at them online reading some reviews I was pretty much sold on them. Now here is the thing. Yesterday I was looking at these bulbs on HD's website and the product disappeared from their site. I called customer service, they couldn't find it. Their online chat was more successful, but they said they were no longer carrying it and it was out of stock and it was not carried in their brick and mortar stores.

So I took a trip down to my local HD for some other items and decided to take a gander at the recessed lights again. Then as I was approaching the aisle i walk into this big display of the cree downlights i was looking at online. Price at, get this, $20ea! I thought, Wow, thats a deal. This is the lowest price I had seen for these lights so I bought 8 for the living room. As I was sitting at checkout I realized the lifetime and warranty was reduced on these from 50,000 to 35,000 hours and 5 years to 3 years. It appears cree makes a special model for HD with lower specs.

I also learned that my utility company charges me a monthly fee to fund a program which reduces prices on energy efficient products. These Cree bulbs by HD are on the list. There was even a little tag in the store that said it was promotional price by my utility company. I had found the bulbs online at a special website which requires you have a valid account with the utility company to place an order. The prices were too high though and I could find them cheaper on amazon.com.

So just now I go back to the HD site and the bulbs are back online with a disclaimer saying "new lower price". There is also some confusion on the packaging whether they are 9.5watts or 10.5 watts. The ones I bought are 9.5.

Anyways, home depot shenanigans aside, whats your thoughts on this. Should I just use the homedepot cree bulbs or buy the real cree bulbs?

Oh and i realize these are 6 inch and I was looking for 5" but... i think they look plain enough I might not notice the size.. we shall see.