Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Share |
Recessed Lighting Question

Just bought a house with recessed can lighting in the kitchen. Two of the lights appear to have some black dust or black ash on the ceiling around the edges of the can trim. It was not visible when the recessed lights were on. After I moved in and the lights were off, I could see it. What could this mean? Is it indicative of a fire?

SAHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

Hey HomeMaker,
Congrats on the new house! The black dust around the can lights could be from a lot of different things. Did you have a home inspection done on the house prior to purchasing? Is the dust inside the can on the trim, or on the ceiling around the can? The dust could simply be from the grease and smoke that cooking in the kitchen creates, but it could also be from the light getting too hot. Most recessed lighting fixtures arenít made to contact insulation. They can over heat if insulation is covering them in the ceiling. Electrical is very serious and dangerous I would call an inspector if the light seems to be getting too hot. Be safe.

--------------------------------------
Gregg-With The Home Depot in Chicago http://community.homedepot.com

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogregg View Post
Hey HomeMaker,
Congrats on the new house! The black dust around the can lights could be from a lot of different things. Did you have a home inspection done on the house prior to purchasing? Is the dust inside the can on the trim, or on the ceiling around the can? The dust could simply be from the grease and smoke that cooking in the kitchen creates, but it could also be from the light getting too hot. Most recessed lighting fixtures arenít made to contact insulation. They can over heat if insulation is covering them in the ceiling. Electrical is very serious and dangerous I would call an inspector if the light seems to be getting too hot. Be safe.

--------------------------------------
Gregg-With The Home Depot in Chicago http://community.homedepot.com
Thanks for the reply! @gotogregg

The house passed inspection just fine, but I don't know if the inspector saw that specifically. I will have to call and ask him. Hubby was there during inspection, I was not. Hubby didn't notice it because the lights were on and it can't be seen with the lights on. The black ash / dust is on the ceiling, around the lip (trim) of 2 of the lights.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHW View Post
Thanks for the reply! @gotogregg

The house passed inspection just fine, but I don't know if the inspector saw that specifically. I will have to call and ask him. Hubby was there during inspection, I was not. Hubby didn't notice it because the lights were on and it can't be seen with the lights on. The black ash / dust is on the ceiling, around the lip (trim) of 2 of the lights.
Tried to edit my last response for clarity, but don't see the edit. The black ash / dust is not anywhere on the inside of the cans or the trim of the cans, it's on the ceiling fanned out a bit right around the edges of two can trims.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #5

Hey,
Do you know what type of insulation is in the ceiling? Is there a room above the kitchen or an attic? I would take off the trim and see if there is any space where dust or dirt from above could be blowing out. Take every precaution and see if the inspector took a look at the electrical and installation of the lighting.
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote