Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #1

Share |

Recessed Lighting - Quality Question.

Hi there, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with this. I have hired a contractor (not quite DIY, huh?) to fix some damage in my living room ceiling. He is essentially going to tear out the old ceiling and put in a new one. While he's in there, I've asked him to install recessed lighting. We're going to do 3 ea. 3" lights and 6 ea. 4" lights.

My question is on quality. He said the lights (cans + lights) he would buy at an electrical supply store would run about $60 - 70. I've bought recessed lighting before at Lowes. and it ran me about $30 - 40. Now, my contractor told me the stuff he can buy at his special electrical supply store would be much better quality than what I could get a Lowes.

I have loads of money in Lowes gift cards, and I would much rather use those up than pay more out of pocket to my contractor (and he is 100% fine with me doing that). But, if you guys think that the quality of lights will really be much better if he buys them, then I'd go ahead and do that.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Better yet - what are the best recessed lighting brands?

Best regards,

Hillary

Last edited by 811Gibbon; 10-13-2008 at 11:18 AM.
811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

One can sucks about as good as the other, in my opinion. I prefer the Halo or Capri brands, because they are cheap and come with quick wire connectors already installed.

They are around $8 to $12 for the can, the bulb and trim might put you at near $30, depending on the trim. What I am concerned about is you letting the guy who repairs ceilings do electrical work in your home... As far as I'm concerned, there are only two people that should be allowed to do electrical work in your house: you, and an electrician.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #3

Agreed, please ensure he's qualified and licensed to be doing electrical installations, and also make sure he's obtained the required permits. That way you have an advocate in your corner (the inspector) in case that he's a better ceiling fixer than electrician.

I also agree that the Halo brand is the only way to go when buying at a box store. I am unimpressed with the proprietary off-brands that Lowes and Home Depot carry. I don't think you'll see any quality difference between name brand housings from Lowes and name brand housings from a supply house.

My suggestion would be to use IC rated cans on a retrofit installation, just to be safe.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #4

Hi there, thanks so much for the information. It was a great help.

The guy I've hired has a team of drywallers, painters, carpet-layers, electricians, etc., etc. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Halo, all the way.

Do remember that there are three components to a recessed light unit, each of which carries a separate cost: housing, trim and bulb. The latter two can make the price of the complete unit vary widely. Still, $60-70 seems very high.

And I totally agree with KC. Stay away from the proprietary brands like Commercial Electric, etc.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:57 AM   #6

You guys have been so helpful! Thank you. I completely don't mind my contractor trying to make money (we all have to make money), but I was just a little troubled when he said the lights would cost him so much. I'm really happy with the solution of me buying them myself, and he seems okay with it.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #7

Great!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Halo, all the way.

Do remember that there are three components to a recessed light unit, each of which carries a separate cost: housing, trim and bulb. The latter two can make the price of the complete unit vary widely. Still, $60-70 seems very high.

And I totally agree with KC. Stay away from the proprietary brands like Commercial Electric, etc.
I bought a box of six Commercial Electric 5" IC remodel cans from Home Depot a few months back and just not got around to installing them. I put two of them in today to test fit and then saw this post tonight. What is so bad about them? I would just like to know what problems I might expect before I go throught the trouble of installing the others and wiring them. Thanks.
silas718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #9

HD has 6 paks of Halo 6" cans with trim & everything for $55
---actually no bulb
I use CFL's usually

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote