Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Fox
Rough around the edges...

Rewards Points: 75

Recessed lighting plan review

I'm not a fan of the lighting in one of our basement rooms. I find recessed lighting looks fantastic, but I've never installed it before.

I picked up a 6 pack of T7 trim and six H4 housings. (Though I can't find a link to them anywhere online! Strange. They're 6" downlight remodel airtight housings.)

Below is a diagram of the background quickly tossed together in Visio. (If anyone knows a way to save Visio floorplans to JPG while displaying measurements, please let me know how!)

The ceiling is 8', except under the I-beam/ductwork, where it is 7'.

I wanted to know if anyone sees any drastic problems with this idea. We wish to eventually use dimmable, CFL BR or PAL lights that shine 'Daylight' in color. I realized the switch and bulbs are expensive.

Still, I was told to keep recessed lights within throw distance of each other, or, about 4', as these are 8 foot ceilings. When I sketch this out, I get something like this:

That's a lot more lights than I expected to put in. Do you really need that many 6" lights in a space 18' x 12'?

I certainly hope not, as this is getting far more expensive than I anticipated.

Thank you in advance,
--Fox

Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I've read elsewhere on this site that 6" cans can be placed every 6', that should reduce the number you need.

gdoucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Fox
Rough around the edges...

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoucette View Post
I've read elsewhere on this site that 6" cans can be placed every 6', that should reduce the number you need.
That would help, and I was thinking of ways I could make up for loss of light against the walls. I began toying around with wall lighting, but then realized I can't do that; this is a town house. The left and right sides are just drywall against a firewall.

Right now I'm considering just going down and cutting two holes, installing just those lights in the center and measuring the throw, just to get an idea. Now I just need to decide if I want to center between the two firewalls, or between the two closets...
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote