Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed Lighting and outlets under roof eves

I would like to add around (7) recessed lighting cans under the eves (where the roof overhangs the brick). I also thought, hey, I always need outlets for christmas lights, so I thought I might add some of those next to each light.

The lights will be controlled with a timer switch, so for the lights I thought, Ill just run 12-2 from a single 20a Circuit breaker (new) to each light can, going first to the timer-switch then to the (7) Lights.

What I dont know, is there a way to include receptacles next to the lights for future christmas lights, then I thought maybe 20a is not enough when you get a lot of lights going..so thought I would ask you folks.

(1) should I put the lights and outlets on the same circuit?
(2) Should I consider just putting the socket to 2 blade converter on the lights during christmas for the lights and avoid the outlets?
(3) How would I wire from a switch, to outlet(7) to lights(7), basically having a outlet/lightcan in 7 places around the house.
(4) can I just lay the wire on the attic side of the eve, or is there a specific way to do that.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

justjeffDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Do you want to be able to turn the Christmas lights on and have the can lights off? How many Christmas lights are we talking about?

At my house, I installed one outlet up in the eve on the side of the porch wall for the Christmas lights. We only put up a few strings that plug into each other. That outlet is connected to the same switch that controls the light to the left of the door (because at one time there were two doors that went into two different rooms, the light fixture to the right of the door is controlled off of a different switch). When we want to use the Christmas lights, we unscrew the bulb in the left fixture (and turn off the right fixture) and can use the switch to control the Christmas lights.

I used a weatherproof/exterior box with weatherproof cover similar to what is shown in the below picture. I also used a GFI outlet.

Because you are starting from scratch, I would have the outlet(s) run off a different switch than the switch used for the lights.

Calculate the total watts needs and convert to amps. Amps = Watts / Volts. Using 110 for Volts will give you slightly higher Amps than you will actually use. If it were me, if it were over 15 amps, I would use two circuits because you never known when you would want to add more.

(2) Should I consider just putting the socket to 2 blade converter on the lights during christmas for the lights and avoid the outlets?

NO!

(3) How would I wire from a switch, to outlet(7) to lights(7), basically having a outlet/lightcan in 7 places around the house.

It depends on where the power source is coming from. If the power source is close to the first light, run a line back to the switch for the hot only. Otherwise, have the switch as the first thing in the circuit.

(4) can I just lay the wire on the attic side of the eve, or is there a specific way to do that.

No. It needs to be secured. If you run perpendicular to the joists, you will need to use a 1x3 or 1x4 as a runner to help support the wire - or use conduit.

brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Busy DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgmgb
It depends on where the power source is coming from. If the power source is close to the first light, run a line back to the switch for the hot only. Otherwise, have the switch as the first thing in the circuit.
Can you please elaborate on how to run to switch for hot only?
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

That would be called a switch loop. You would take power to and from the switch on one cable. If your area is under the 2011 NEC you would need to use xx-3 cable to take the neutral to the switch also.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

Sounds like I need to take (2) Circuits from the breaker box. one to the outlets (7), and (1) to the 7 can lights starting with the switch off the breaker, then just run cable to each can light.

We run around 20 strands of lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjeffDIY View Post
I would like to add around (7) recessed lighting cans under the eves (where the roof overhangs the brick). I also thought, hey, I always need outlets for christmas lights, so I thought I might add some of those next to each light.

The lights will be controlled with a timer switch, so for the lights I thought, Ill just run 12-2 from a single 20a Circuit breaker (new) to each light can, going first to the timer-switch then to the (7) Lights.

What I dont know, is there a way to include receptacles next to the lights for future christmas lights, then I thought maybe 20a is not enough when you get a lot of lights going..so thought I would ask you folks.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
justjeffDIY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
can light, christmas lights, outlet