Recessed Lighting - Old Work Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Recessed lighting - old work problem

I'm replacing a cheap builder's grade surface mount ceiling light with a recessed light. Location is a hallway, 40" wide. As luck would have it, there's a dang ceiling joist right down the middle of the hallway. This means my can has to be off center, way off center. It's going to look ugly. Is there a work-around to this? Is there some way I can cut the joist and sister in an offset joist to overcome this mess?

Advertisement

Plasmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmech View Post
I'm replacing a cheap builder's grade surface mount ceiling light with a recessed light. Location is a hallway, 40" wide. As luck would have it, there's a dang ceiling joist right down the middle of the hallway. This means my can has to be off center, way off center. It's going to look ugly. Is there a work-around to this? Is there some way I can cut the joist and sister in an offset joist to overcome this mess?
Nope! I don't think anyone here is going to tell it is ok to cut a ceiling joist.

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Plasmech,
How much is 1 + 1 .... ????
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarth View Post
Plasmech,
How much is 1 + 1 .... ????
I....am not seeing the humor in that?

Are you thinking I'm talking about something else? Ceiling joist, right where the light wants to be. Period.

By the way, this is a second floor ceiling joist. It's responsibility is to provide tensile strength to the A-Frame roof (keeping the "A" from wanting to spread out) and to hold the 2nd floor ceiling drywall. Forget about the drywall. If I sister a joist in, or several actually, I should be able to easily keep the tension strength for the A-frame.

Last edited by Plasmech; 04-05-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Double up the ceiling joist left and right of the offending center joist. Remember to go all the way from each bearing point. Than properly support the center ceiling joist before you cut it out of your way. Than install doubled up joist either side of the recessed location to properly support the joist you just cut. Remove the temporary supports from below. Install your recessed fixture.

Don't tell anyone you did all of this for a recessed fixture. The neighbors will start to talk.

P.S.
Consult with a structural Engineer.
NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 PM   #6

LOL I guess you might already know I'm very anal about things being centered and perfect. When I'm done with that joist it will be effectively the strongest ceiling joist in my town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIL View Post
Double up the ceiling joist left and right of the offending center joist. Remember to go all the way from each bearing point. Than properly support the center ceiling joist before you cut it out of your way. Than install doubled up joist either side of the recessed location to properly support the joist you just cut. Remove the temporary supports from below. Install your recessed fixture.

Don't tell anyone you did all of this for a recessed fixture. The neighbors will start to talk.

P.S.
Consult with a structural Engineer.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,324

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Nope! I don't think anyone here is going to tell it is ok to cut a ceiling joist.
OK, I lied! Someone did tell you to cut a ceiling joist! [/I]
Old 04-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #8

Well, it turns out I got lucky. After I "sistered-in" some lumber, I realized that the offending 2x4 is actually NOT effectively part of the truss, it's not a truss chord, it's just there to hold ceiling drywall. Hard to explain without a drawing, but my house has a sloped ceiling in the master bedroom (front of upstairs). For this reason, the roof trusses are designed to not have a chord straight across the bottom (else they would be in the way of the sloped bedroom ceiling). The actual structural members are above the ceiling line. The 2x4 that is right above the drywall in the non-sloped part of the upstairs is just there to hold the ceiling drywall. It's not tied into the truss in a way that would contribute to its strength. That being said, I still sistered in a joist using Gorilla glue and 1/2" bolts. It's pretty dang strong nonetheless.

Advertisement