DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Recessed Lighting Noob Install Question?? help!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  oberkc 
#1 · (Edited)
i am a newbie at the whole "man of the house" thing.

this is my first home and would love some help with a project.

i am replacing the basement lighting with recessed lighting. i have taken down the fluorescent units that the basement had and replacing them with recessed lights. i tore down the ceiling and will not replace it. i am going for an industrial look in the basement ceiling meaning that i am going to paint everything in the ceiling flat black.

heres my problem....

the lights used to turn on with just one regular switch, which would turn on 3 separate fluorescent light boxes. so say 3 separate zones, per say.

i want to run 4 recessed lights to each of the "3 separate zones" where there was only 1 light box in each zone.

is this something a newbie can do? i have attached a basic drawing of what i want.

thanks for any input!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is nothing physically difficult that a "newbie" could not handle. There are, however, proper ways of doing things to keep within code and safety criteria. There is also a risk to your own safety if you are unsure how to turn off power or how to check for voltages. This is probably not your last house, so you want to be sure you do this correctly. Ideally, you might consider some help from someone with the proper knowledge. There are also many self-help books available. I have found these very useful.

One thing that jumps out at me is the shear number of fixtures you have planned. Depending on the bulbs, this could require enough power (when combined with the power requirements of whatever else is on that circuit) to be concerned about whether your circuit can handle the load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.