Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed Lighting - Kitchen

I am redoing our kitchen and redoing all of the lighting. Kitchen is about 10' x 13' with 8' ceilings. Base and wall cabinets on 3 of the walls. One wall has an outside window (sink under it). Cabinets are off-white/antique. Dark gray granite counter tops, and gray tile flooring.

I want to do recessed lighting in the ceiling that follows the flow of the counter top. Would like to put them all on a dimmer. Plus I'd like to single out a light above the sink on its own switch and possibly one above the stove on its own switch. I'm ripping out the ceiling and will have open joists, so I have room to install whatever.

My first idea is go LED. How are the LED recessed lights now? Any recommendations for them? 4" vs 6"? Any gotchas I should look at for?

If not LEDs, any recommendations otherwise?

My normal for installing recessed is the normal 6" with white trim. I'm looking to do something different in the kitchen.

jgrohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

WHY mess with what works??

NO WAY I'd use a proprietary LED light at this time. Just use regular cans and use LED lamps if you want.
Also, I feel 4" cans are far too limiting as far as lamp selection and light spread goes. If you did go with them you'd need to use more of them than you would 6".

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

4" cans are not designed for general room lighting IMO. Go with 4-6 6". I do like the Cree LED trims. The cans stay the same, it's an all in one trim/lamp combo.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #4

What's above that area? If it's an attic make sure to use I/C, air tite cans.

Why a dimmer?
The house I live in now had one and it never once got dimed, I replaced it with a reguler switch and the little lady never missed it.
We use the under cabinet lights as a night light.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #5

I have the cree 6" and 4" LED lamps (in regular Halo cans) and really like them a lot. As others have said, think general purpose and task lighting. 6" cans evenly distributed in ceiling for general lighting; two 4" cans over sink area and two 4" cans over cooktop (cooktop usually has a hood with built-in lighting). Then, some sort of under cabinet lighting for countertop tasks (as stated, also make great night lights).
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

I have used Cree recessed LED can units and they seems work very well for most purpose and their brightness is pretty even thru no " hot " spots.

I did use the European Spec'ed verison of Cree recessed luminaire units they have about the same brightness between 60-75 watts indentscent bulbs.

I do belive they can come in two " colour " format one is 4100 K aka cool white while the other verison is about 3200-3500 K more like warm white colour the cost for either verison is the same.

But they do have higher wattage verison but I do not know how easy you guys can get them in state side but in France I can get them pretty easy.

Merci,
Marc