Recessed Lighting Job In Shower - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Recessed Lighting Job in Shower

Looking at tackling a recessed lighting job for the shower...

We have regular bath lighting above the vanities in both main floor bathrooms, however, we do not have remotely enough lighting in the shower areas so I am looking at this being my next project.

Outside of looking for wet rated lighting and trim kits, what should I look for in the way of electrical? Will I need to go through the attic to wire this to my existing switch? --- IE I would like it to be on same switch with my fan as 9 times out of 10 I am using the fan w the shower.

Could a DIYer provide some assistance?

Thx!

Advertisement

braves22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves22 View Post
Looking at tackling a recessed lighting job for the shower...

We have regular bath lighting above the vanities in both main floor bathrooms, however, we do not have remotely enough lighting in the shower areas so I am looking at this being my next project.

Outside of looking for wet rated lighting and trim kits, what should I look for in the way of electrical? Will I need to go through the attic to wire this to my existing switch? --- IE I would like it to be on same switch with my fan as 9 times out of 10 I am using the fan w the shower.

Could a DIYer provide some assistance?

Thx!

Did this on my own house a few months ago - I added a separate switch leg(General bath lighting, bathing area lighting, fan).
Also, I found a nice tool that will elt you set the radius of a circular cut and has a dust pan on it too. This came in handy for many more items, such as the in-ceiling speakers I put in.

Going into the attic would be the easiest thing to do, IMO. Make sure you take note of any rafters in the way of where you'd like your can light.
I used a small wire, cut of the end to a sharp point, then shoved it through the bathroom ceiling. Once I was in the attic, I knew exactly where I wanted the light and if it was going to be an issue.

You could pull power from the fan(usually gives you a box as well - so no need for a JB), however I dont know if this violates any NEC codes. experts?

If you're good on code... Mark and cut your hole in the ceiling, pop in the can light, run your NM cable to the fan, secure it as needed, splice it in and your done!

One last tip, go for the 6-inch can. The 4-inch does NOT put out that much light, and you can always go to a lower wattage bulb in your 6-inch can.

Good luck!

Advertisement

fuzzball03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
You could pull power from the fan(usually gives you a box as well - so no need for a JB), however I dont know if this violates any NEC codes. experts?
Oh no you don't! He said he wanted advice from DIY'ers, not any of the pros here.

Quote:
braves22: ""Could a DIYer provide some assistance?"
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball03 View Post
Depends on the size of the splice box at the fan. If it's big enough to legally contain the extra wires, and has another knock-out to bring in the new cable, it's fine.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Oh no you don't! He said he wanted advice from DIY'ers, not any of the pros here.
Sorry, no offensiveness was intended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
Depends on the size of the splice box at the fan. If it's big enough to legally contain the extra wires, and has another knock-out to bring in the new cable, it's fine.

Looks like you've got a pretty straightforward job!
fuzzball03 is offline   Reply With Quote