Recessed Lighting Job In Shower - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Member
 
braves22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Recessed Lighting Job in Shower


Looking at tackling a recessed lighting job for the shower...

We have regular bath lighting above the vanities in both main floor bathrooms, however, we do not have remotely enough lighting in the shower areas so I am looking at this being my next project.

Outside of looking for wet rated lighting and trim kits, what should I look for in the way of electrical? Will I need to go through the attic to wire this to my existing switch? --- IE I would like it to be on same switch with my fan as 9 times out of 10 I am using the fan w the shower.

Could a DIYer provide some assistance?

Thx!

Advertisement

braves22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 108
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Recessed Lighting Job in Shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by braves22 View Post
Looking at tackling a recessed lighting job for the shower...

We have regular bath lighting above the vanities in both main floor bathrooms, however, we do not have remotely enough lighting in the shower areas so I am looking at this being my next project.

Outside of looking for wet rated lighting and trim kits, what should I look for in the way of electrical? Will I need to go through the attic to wire this to my existing switch? --- IE I would like it to be on same switch with my fan as 9 times out of 10 I am using the fan w the shower.

Could a DIYer provide some assistance?

Thx!

Did this on my own house a few months ago - I added a separate switch leg(General bath lighting, bathing area lighting, fan).
Also, I found a nice tool that will elt you set the radius of a circular cut and has a dust pan on it too. This came in handy for many more items, such as the in-ceiling speakers I put in.

Going into the attic would be the easiest thing to do, IMO. Make sure you take note of any rafters in the way of where you'd like your can light.
I used a small wire, cut of the end to a sharp point, then shoved it through the bathroom ceiling. Once I was in the attic, I knew exactly where I wanted the light and if it was going to be an issue.

You could pull power from the fan(usually gives you a box as well - so no need for a JB), however I dont know if this violates any NEC codes. experts?

If you're good on code... Mark and cut your hole in the ceiling, pop in the can light, run your NM cable to the fan, secure it as needed, splice it in and your done!

One last tip, go for the 6-inch can. The 4-inch does NOT put out that much light, and you can always go to a lower wattage bulb in your 6-inch can.

Good luck!

Advertisement

fuzzball03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,484
Rewards Points: 2,616
Default

Recessed Lighting Job in Shower


Quote:
You could pull power from the fan(usually gives you a box as well - so no need for a JB), however I dont know if this violates any NEC codes. experts?
Oh no you don't! He said he wanted advice from DIY'ers, not any of the pros here.

Quote:
braves22: ""Could a DIYer provide some assistance?"
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 772
Rewards Points: 512
Default

Recessed Lighting Job in Shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzball03 View Post
You could pull power from the fan(usually gives you a box as well - so no need for a JB), however I dont know if this violates any NEC codes. experts?
Depends on the size of the splice box at the fan. If it's big enough to legally contain the extra wires, and has another knock-out to bring in the new cable, it's fine.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 108
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Recessed Lighting Job in Shower


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Oh no you don't! He said he wanted advice from DIY'ers, not any of the pros here.
Sorry, no offensiveness was intended!


Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
Depends on the size of the splice box at the fan. If it's big enough to legally contain the extra wires, and has another knock-out to bring in the new cable, it's fine.


Looks like you've got a pretty straightforward job!
fuzzball03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless Light Switches (for installing recessed lighting) htabbas Electrical 1 10-30-2011 07:44 AM
bedroom recessed lighting advice wanted andrewbp Remodeling 2 09-30-2011 10:11 AM
Recessed Lighting Noob Install Question?? help! windycitystyle Electrical 1 01-20-2010 12:53 PM
Bathroom remodel - recessed light above shower bigburb Remodeling 6 10-02-2009 01:03 AM
Recessed lighting in billiard room? kcrossley2 Electrical 11 01-11-2009 09:00 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts