Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

recessed lighting help

Hi, 1st time posting. Looking for some help with some old recessed lighting in my basement. If I can figure out how to attach pictures I will, but the lights in the basement of the house we bought a year ago arenít very bright. They leave the whole finished part of the basement extremely dark. My kids hate going down there and the whole basement is basically home to every toy ever created. No matter what type or wattage light bulb I put in, it doesnít really help. Iíd love to replace them, but they are rectangular and I havenít seen anything like them anywhere. I could get new ceiling panels and go with more modern circular ones, but Iíve never seen these type of ceiling panels anywhere either so I either replace all of it or I replace 3 or 4 panels with something that doesnít match. Any ideas? The glass that covers the lights is kinda frosted so I was thinking that is part of the issue. Not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
recessed lighting help-august11-033.jpg   recessed lighting help-august11-034.jpg   recessed lighting help-august11-035.jpg  

payne.kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

recessed lighting help

How about adding some wall sconces, that way you don't have to mess with the ceiling at all.

Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

recessed lighting help

2 observations from your pics:

1. Bulbs look like new high efficiency type. Don't know if you tried old fashioned incandescent type? 100W if any old labels state max allowed.

2. Housings are so old, no reflective material is inside, just paint, which absorbs some of the light rather than reflecting it downward. Can't say if a piece of cardboard with aluminum foil pressed into place would help.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

recessed lighting help

I have tried every kind of lightbulb and nothing worked to help. Not sure I want to stick stuff like that up there. I'm sure I will figure something out.
payne.kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

recessed lighting help

Sconces? In the wall? Easy and bright.
Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote