Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Share |
Default

recessed lighting frozen


hi i have 4 6 inch LED can lights IC rated in my living room that i hooked up and i had to go through my attic to wire it since i live in a ranch. i didnt put the insolation back over them last night and it got in single digits last night and i went back up there today and they had frost on them! i covered them back up with the spray in insolation. is that ok to do since they are IC rated??? i put nm connectors on each can to hold the wires and so they are pretty well sealed. i just dont want them to get cold and condensate and get water inside and have something real bad happen, thanks

jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician
 
k_buz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 4,340
Default

recessed lighting frozen


If the cans are installed "in" and insulated attic, the cans should also be air-tite.

__________________
__________________________________________________ ______________
Answers based on the National Electric Code. Always check local amendments.


k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
joecaption (01-14-2013), NJMarine (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 89
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by jhack836 View Post
hi i have 4 6 inch LED can lights IC rated in my living room that i hooked up and i had to go through my attic to wire it since i live in a ranch. i didnt put the insolation back over them last night and it got in single digits last night and i went back up there today and they had frost on them! i covered them back up with the spray in insolation. is that ok to do since they are IC rated??? i put nm connectors on each can to hold the wires and so they are pretty well sealed. i just dont want them to get cold and condensate and get water inside and have something real bad happen, thanks

I hope you don't mean the spray foam type insulation. That could be a problem. Not a condensation problem. possible fire hazard problem.

Spray fiber insulation is no problem.

You could also wrap them in fiberglass insulation bats if you are still having problems with condensation.
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,321
Default

recessed lighting frozen


I'd also be wondering if you had enough venting in the attic.
To have frost you need moisture.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,614
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Bury them in insulation and check the soffit vents----baffles should be letting in light at the soffits--if not--you need to get them installed---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
If the cans are installed "in" and insulated attic, the cans should also be air-tite.
what you mean by "in"? the whole attic is insolated and yes they are air tite as well
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by parman View Post
I hope you don't mean the spray foam type insulation. That could be a problem. Not a condensation problem. possible fire hazard problem.

Spray fiber insulation is no problem.

You could also wrap them in fiberglass insulation bats if you are still having problems with condensation.
no it is the spray in insolation, not the spray foam
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Bury them in insulation and check the soffit vents----baffles should be letting in light at the soffits--if not--you need to get them installed---
yes i have baffles. i think i have more than enough vents in my soffit as almost every other bay i can see light through
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhack836 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I'd also be wondering if you had enough venting in the attic.
To have frost you need moisture.
i have plenty of venting it is just freezing up there even to stick your head up there, so isnt that a good thing as i dont have much heat loss?
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,614
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Your attic sounds good---Just look in on it over the winter and make sure there is not a condensation problem----

That frost might be caused by a very high humidity day---or could be a sign of improper ventilation--Keep an eye on it over the winter----
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,321
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Soffits are only 1/2 of the equation. What goes in must come out.
Cold is good in an attic.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashua, NH, USA
Posts: 6,946
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Also check for excessive leakage of inside air up into the attic. Recessed fixtures in the top floor ceiling are easy exits for inside air. For IC rated fixtures you might put an extra blanket of insulation up in the attic over the spots where the lights are located.
__________________
Stop wasting time re-adjusting the pattern. Have several lawn sprinklers, one for each pattern.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Soffits are only 1/2 of the equation. What goes in must come out.
Cold is good in an attic.
yup its real cold up there. i have 4 vents on the top but this spring im going to tear them out and put a ridge vent in. the lo omni roll. i used to be a roofer and did alot of roofing and soffits so i have a good idea how it works
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhack836 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 248
Default

recessed lighting frozen


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Your attic sounds good---Just look in on it over the winter and make sure there is not a condensation problem----

That frost might be caused by a very high humidity day---or could be a sign of improper ventilation--Keep an eye on it over the winter----
i dont think there is a condisation problem. so signs of mold or and signs of moisture anywhere, deck boards and rafters are very clean which is always good!
jhack836 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhack836 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,614
Default

recessed lighting frozen


As a one time roofer---you are a good judge of the health of a roof and attic----cover those well and call the job done---

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Replacing Recessed Lighting from the 80's scubakathy84 Electrical 2 11-03-2012 04:57 PM
Kitchen fluorescent to LED recessed lighting changeout speedytahiti Electrical 1 01-05-2012 07:04 PM
Recessed Lighting Layout - HELP foxwoods321 Electrical 12 02-24-2011 09:32 PM
New recessed lighting: Line Voltage vs. low voltage hyunelan2 Electrical 0 10-12-2009 12:25 PM
Recessed Lighting under hot/cold supplies?? KC10KEVIN Electrical 1 05-08-2008 10:21 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.