Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed Lighting Distance

Ok so i have selected a 6" light and wanted to know if anyone could tell me how far to place them apart and how far from the wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated
bgall12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Union Electrician

Depends. How tall is your ceiling? What wattage and type of lamps?
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

I will add to Goose's comment it will depending on the type of trim as well but from the wall to the first row luminaire will be half of the mounting height and from there the spacing will varies a bit depending on which type of trim and bulb both will really affect it alot.

The spacing between will be anywhere from half of the ceiling height to 3X of ceiling height.

so there is no spefic number it will affect the way the room lay out also like a cabent or something may block the luminaire light path so that something you may want to think about it

Oh yeah make sure if you going have ceiling fan in there make sure keep engough distance from fan blades otherwise you will get shadow flicker when it runs.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

The function of the room will make a difference. Kitchens require a higher lighting level than family rooms.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #5

Ok i thought I put that ceiling height in. It is a 7 foot ceiling in a room that is 23 x 18. The room will be used for a playroom and family movie night. I will be installing dimmers for the lights as well.
bgall12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Union Electrician

Good start. Now what size cans are you using? 6 inch, 4 inch? Also what kind of lamps: MR-16, PAR-20, etc. With a 7 foot ceiling, you're going to want a pretty large beam spread. I'd say use 6 inch cans with incandescent lamps. If it's general type lighting, go about 3 feet apart and three feet off of wall. I'm a lot better at this if I'm standing in the room.

Another nice touch would be to switch the lights above the TV area seperately from the rest of the room. That way you can still find your way to the can without blowing the picture quality.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

A rough guide is the circle of light at the floor is roughly equilivalant to the distance from the floor to ceiling, based on a 6" baffle trim with a PAR 30 bulb. Floods will be wider than spot type bulbs.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

With the standard open trim and with BR30 65 watt bulb or PAR 30 bulbs in flood pattern will cover very nice with little over 3 foot spacing and go 3 foot or 3.5 foot from the wall and from there you can go 3 foot spacing.

But if you used baffled trims the distance will get little closer.

And I really suggest have two dimmers there so one set of luminaires will be on one dimmer while other set of lumianires where above the tv is located so you can able finetune the dimmed light where you want so it will not ruin the tv images.

A side note the BR30 and PAR30 do come in both flood and spot pattern so get the flood verison to get the most of light spread pattern.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote