Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Share |

Recessed lighting in billiard room?

I'm turning the loft above our family room into a billiard room. The room size is 12' 6" x 17'. We're purchasing a 7' billiard table to go in the room, which leave very little room for anything else besides a small pub table and a few stools.

I've already purchased a hanging light fixture to go above the table, but I'm going to need some other lighting as well. Rather than have floor lamps, which could get knocked over, I'm thinking about installing recessed perimeter lighting.

1. How many 6" recessed lights will I need to adequately light this space?
2. How far should I place the lights from the wall?
3. How about from each other?
4. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Kelly
kcrossley2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
I'm turning the loft above our family room into a billiard room. The room size is 12' 6" x 17'. We're purchasing a 7' billiard table to go in the room, which leave very little room for anything else besides a small pub table and a few stools.

I've already purchased a hanging light fixture to go above the table, but I'm going to need some other lighting as well. Rather than have floor lamps, which could get knocked over, I'm thinking about installing recessed perimeter lighting.

1. How many 6" recessed lights will I need to adequately light this space?
2. How far should I place the lights from the wall?
3. How about from each other?
4. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks,
Kelly
According to a book I have, a fixture with a 65 watt floodlight in a room with an 8 foot ceiling will light up a circle that is 8 feet in diameter on the floor. If the ceiling is 10 feet high the circle will be 10 feet on the floor. I would make a scale drawing of your room and place marks on the graph paper where you think lights should go and then use a compass to make circles to see what the light pattern on the floor will look like. That's about the best I can do. Have fun with your project!
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

I'm thinking 8 laid out something like this. With your hanging one in the center.
I'd separate the switching on the hanging light and the recessed so you can add a dimmer. Better to have too much than not enough because you can always dim them if need be.

0 0 0

0 0

0 0 0

Last edited by wirenut1110; 01-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

It didn't come out right but the one right center needs to be moved to the right and aligned with the other row. You get the idea
Old 01-02-2009, 11:16 AM   #5

Got it. I'll do the graph paper thing in a minute. But until then, let's assume I'm going with 8. Just so you'll know, I'm basically splitting a fan rough-in and having the fan wires go to the center light, which has three 60 watt bulbs, and the light wires go to the new recessed lighting.

If each recessed light is 60 watts, doesn't the combination of center light and 8 perimeter lights put too much of a load on that single circuit? If so, how many recessed lights can I comfortably put on that line?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Depends how much is on the circuit already but you're adding 5.5 amps so I wouldn't think it'll be a big issue.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #7

o o o

o x o

o o o

Adding a few lights to the existing circuit will be fine.

If you keep the lights about 20" off the walls, they will also function to illluminate any artwork you might have. If you don't want to splash the walls, keep them in abour 3'.

PS. Flat ceiling I presume?

If the ceiling is vaulted the layout will abvioulsy change and you will want to use regressed eyeball trims to aim the lamps straight down.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #8

Yes, flat ceiling. Ceiling height is 8'. Loft is open to family room along one 17' side. I like the idea of washing the walls with light.

My only concern is the visibility of the recessed lights closest to the loft railing, which overlooks the family room. I'm trying to avoid being able to see those set of lights from the family room below. I'll need to play around with the positioning a little. I think 20" will probably work, assuming there are no ceiling joists to contend with. Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Have someone go downstairs and in the "sitting area" or where that light may shine in their eyes and you can be upstairs and move your hand or something across the ceiling until the person downstairs can't see it, then see how far you're off the edge. Or you could use eyeballs to divert the light away.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #10

Layout and identify all joists before you cut any holes so you can adjust the dimensiions if necessary. Use masking tape to mark joists and fixtures for a good visual reference.

Be aware that there is always a possibility of running into a hidden obstuction on any hole.

Make your connections in the pool table light box bulletproof. You do not want to be climbing on the table to troubleshoot.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #11

Good advice. When installing recessed lights, I usually make a 1/2" hold first, take a coat hanger and bend it 90 degrees, make sure the length is a little more than 1/2 the diameter of the light, insert it into the hole and rotate it 360 degrees. This ensures the area is clear before I do an major cutting.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #12

Okay, I actually measured the room incorrectly. The loft is appx. 12.5' x 15'. The overall size of the pool table is 51" x 90". I'm using (4) 6" Halo recessed cans with 60W bulbs to match the ones my builder used in the rest of our home.

Right now I have each can spaced about 6-9' apart and 20" from the wall, mainly because of ceiling joist locations. I've included a rough diagram to illustrate my setup, which also shows the pool table light centered over the table: http://www.pooltablelights.com/pool-...slandlight.cfm

The reason I have no lighting between the pool table and the railing at the bottom is because there is a huge HVAC duct that runs almost the entire length of this room above the dry-walled ceiling. This obstruction prevents me from installing recessed lights in this area. I could always install track lighting there if needed.

How does this setup look?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf loft4.pdf (13.7 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by kcrossley2; 01-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.