Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recessed lighting in bath.

I'm doing a minor remodel on my master bath...new floor tile, paint, nothing major. One of the things I want to change out is the recessed light above the master bath. The fixture currently has a very ugly shower rated trim/lens on it, and I'd like to replace it with a gimbal light to provide more directed illumination. The slope on the ceiling currently directs the light out into the center of the room, and I want it to light the tub directly below it.

The tub itself has no shower, and the ceiling above it is 9 foot and vaulted (the location of the fixture is 9'6" off the floor). The bath is largeish (9'x16') and well ventilated, and the seperate shower unit is 7 feet away and isolated by a glass wall.

At that height and with no shower, the odds of the fixture coming into direct contact with any water is extremely slight. I've been unable to find any gimbal or eyeball 6" wet-area rated lighting trims that will allow me to direct the light while sealing against moisture (and was told by two companies that they don't exist), so I apparently have to choose one or the other.

So I guess I really have two questions: A) Does code require above-bath lighting to be sealed at that height? B) If it doesn't, is putting an unsealed light in that spot a bad idea?

Arthas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,048

Recessed lighting in bath.

Code requires a wet location trim only when subject to shower spray, so unless you have a shower head facing the ceiling, you are fine with an open baffle.

stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote