Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

recessed lighting

i'm putting in some recessed lighting on a sloped ceiling (not sure of pitch i have to check it)

at what slope do i need a sloped can housing?

i'm putting fan in middle of room and 8 recessed lights around it. i'm just wondering will it light up ok or will the slight angle not look right?

room size is 16x25

Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
i'm putting in some recessed lighting on a sloped ceiling (not sure of pitch i have to check it)

at what slope do i need a sloped can housing?

i'm putting fan in middle of room and 8 recessed lights around it. i'm just wondering will it light up ok or will the slight angle not look right?

room size is 16x25
The most common methold I know useally eyeball trim useally do the trick however there is a shallow recessed trim which it can offset some way.

But there is one major gotcha if you useing recessced slope ceiling luminaires you will need a bit of room due the houseing is pretty large to comperised the difference on the pitch.

Anything useally over 4:12 you will have to be little more carefull with setting of recessed cans and type of lamps you plan to use that will affect a bit.

Merci,
Marc

Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #3

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The most common methold I know useally eyeball trim useally do the trick however there is a shallow recessed trim which it can offset some way.

But there is one major gotcha if you useing recessced slope ceiling luminaires you will need a bit of room due the houseing is pretty large to comperised the difference on the pitch.

Anything useally over 4:12 you will have to be little more carefull with setting of recessed cans and type of lamps you plan to use that will affect a bit.

Merci,
Marc
Yeah my wife doesn't like the eye ball ones. And I think the rafters are 10 inch so the larger housing will fit. I'll measure pitch tommorrow. Hope it's less than 4/12 would rather just put flush ones up. Thanks for input!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

recessed lighting

Quote:
Yeah my wife doesn't like the eye ball ones. And I think the rafters are 10 inch so the larger housing will fit. I'll measure pitch tommorrow. Hope it's less than 4/12 would rather just put flush ones up. Thanks for input!
I measure 12.5inch drop over 48 inch horizontal, that's a 3.84 slope I think. Am I going to be ok with flush or should I look for sloped can that works for 2-6 slopes?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

recessed lighting

Nothing wrong with them at an angle....my in-laws have a bunch of cans in their vaulted ceiling....all flush mount....not an issue.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
CodeEnforcer

Rewards Points: 75

recessed lighting

Go online and check out Halo H247ICAT or H47ICAT recess lights. They have a 2 1/2 to 6 1/2 pitch adjustment.
HIVOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HIVOLT For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIVOLT View Post
Go online and check out Halo H247ICAT or H47ICAT recess lights. They have a 2 1/2 to 6 1/2 pitch adjustment.
I'll check that out, so far my biggest prob is that I don't see brown trim offered which is what I need
Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
TTW

Rewards Points: 250

recessed lighting

They sell brown spray paint.......
#1 - If you don't know what you're doing - get a licensed electrician!
#2 - If you follow my advice and something bad happens see # 1
Electricity bites hard, and it could be the last thing you feel... Good Luck!
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TTW For This Useful Post:
HIVOLT (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

recessed lighting

Quote:
I'll check that out, so far my biggest prob is that I don't see brown trim offered which is what I need
Brown? Check out the black trim sometime they will look good as well.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #10

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Brown? Check out the black trim sometime they will look good as well.

Merci,
Marc
I will look for black as well, the ceiling will be cedar that gets a stain so black might still work.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #11

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTW View Post
They sell brown spray paint.......
Very true but just the housing is 3x the cost and the trim as well, would not like to paint it if I'm spending that much more, but its a last resort for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas For This Useful Post:
TTW (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

recessed lighting

IF you want the lights to shine straight down, then you may need a sloped ceiling can and trim.

If you don't mind the lights shining perpendicular to the slope of the ceiling, then you can use the cheap down lights.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
" Euro " electrician

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
IF you want the lights to shine straight down, then you may need a sloped ceiling can and trim.

If you don't mind the lights shining perpendicular to the slope of the ceiling, then you can use the cheap down lights.
I will expand Kbsparky's comment with that set up., There is one thing you will have to keep it in your mind when you used this type of recessed luminarie the best bulb it will work genrally BR or R bulbs ( either indentscent ou compat flourscent bulb but LED will work good as well but make sure they are rated to work in recessed luminaires )

For the sloped ceilings trims normally I used baffled verison they are pretty good with it unless you want to spread the light around little more then get one with reflective surface to spread out the light more.

But there one thing you will have to keep in your mind if you going to use the dimmer watch the wattage rating. I always go by max wattage of the luminarie / trim it will be used.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Resi EC

Rewards Points: 250

recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Nothing wrong with them at an angle....my in-laws have a bunch of cans in their vaulted ceiling....all flush mount....not an issue.
I have done a few homes like this, lights up the room nicely.

With a fan in the peak, you don't want the recess cans too high in the vault, strobe effect can happen.

Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote