Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recessed Lighting

Planning on installing three 4" eyeball (remodel) recessed lights in the living room. 12" of insulation is in my attic and from what I've heard IC is what I should purchase. The local home improvement store only has non-IC housings/kits. Looked online and am having a tough time finding 4" remodel IC housings/kits (remodel is the key word here). The ones I am finding are 10 times the cost. Is there a reason non-IC is so prevalent in this size? Other sizes (5", 6") have a plethora of IC housings.

Anyway, what is the verdict on non-IC housings? Can I, should I, build my own casings with sheet metal, or is this not much of a factor when using low voltage 4" housings. Suggestions?

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to go to purchase recessed lighting as well.

Thanks

tyreal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 1,000

Recessed Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyreal78 View Post
Planning on installing three 4" eyeball (remodel) recessed lights in the living room. 12" of insulation is in my attic and from what I've heard IC is what I should purchase. The local home improvement store only has non-IC housings/kits. Looked online and am having a tough time finding 4" remodel IC housings/kits (remodel is the key word here). The ones I am finding are 10 times the cost. Is there a reason non-IC is so prevalent in this size? Other sizes (5", 6") have a plethora of IC housings.

Anyway, what is the verdict on non-IC housings? Can I, should I, build my own casings with sheet metal, or is this not much of a factor when using low voltage 4" housings. Suggestions?

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to go to purchase recessed lighting as well.

Thanks
You probably wont find a IC remodel can in that size, they require too much space for heat build up, How come you don't have access from above? I always use JUNO recess cans, they are top notch, so expect to spend about $100 on each fixture with trim and lamp.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Recessed Lighting

The IC type construction gives the fixture the clearance it needs from the insulation. Low voltage or no, these things get HOT. I don't know if they have the IC in remodel housings, but you do need them for the insulation.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Recessed Lighting

The reason for trouble finding 3" or 4" remodel IC housings, like Chris has said to be rated to be used in an insulated ceiling an IC housing must have some kind of additional protective shroud preventing the ceiling insulation from coming in direct contact with the hot metal cone surrounding the lamp. On the other hand, to be considered a remodel housing the housing must be small enough to fit through a hole in the ceiling that measures only 3 inches or 4 inches in diameter. Thus, this small ceiling opening cannot accommodate a large IC housing being installed from below the ceiling. However, please keep in mind that if there is access to the space above the ceiling (for example, an attic), a regular IC housing can be used.

Hope is not lost, there IS one company that's been able to pull off a remodel IC light under 5". The Lithonia brand model L3R at 3". Since Lithonia is the only brand that's done it, and they only make recessed lights in sizes of 3", 5", and 6" a 4" remodel IC does not exist but if you're okay with 3" then you can read about it at

http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/...gh-Ins/L3R.pdf

Just be warned, I hit the one problem that light has. It can only fit in ceilings up to 1/2" thickness and the application I wanted to use it in was plaster ceilings (3/4"). They do make an eyeball for it, the can itself costs $30-$35.

Last edited by Piedmont; 12-13-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

Recessed Lighting

a 4" IC rated can does not exist HALO makes an IC rated 4" can but it is bulky and only comes in new work model. I work for a remodel electrical contractor and we use these all the time, it is a lot more work but if it is what you desire than so be it the only IC rated can you will find in remodel style is larger than that.
wiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Recessed Lighting

The Lithonia 3" IC remodel cans work well. The biggest problem is finding them. You will have to go to a lighting center or electrical supplier to get them, or try to find them online.
HouseHelper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #7

Recessed Lighting

There is one new company that offers 3" recessed IC AIRTIGHT fixtures. www.twicebright.com.

lightguy is offline   Reply With Quote