DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Recessed Lighting

6K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  lightguy 
#1 ·
Planning on installing three 4" eyeball (remodel) recessed lights in the living room. 12" of insulation is in my attic and from what I've heard IC is what I should purchase. The local home improvement store only has non-IC housings/kits. Looked online and am having a tough time finding 4" remodel IC housings/kits (remodel is the key word here). The ones I am finding are 10 times the cost. Is there a reason non-IC is so prevalent in this size? Other sizes (5", 6") have a plethora of IC housings.

Anyway, what is the verdict on non-IC housings? Can I, should I, build my own casings with sheet metal, or is this not much of a factor when using low voltage 4" housings. Suggestions?

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to go to purchase recessed lighting as well.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
The reason for trouble finding 3" or 4" remodel IC housings, like Chris has said to be rated to be used in an insulated ceiling an IC housing must have some kind of additional protective shroud preventing the ceiling insulation from coming in direct contact with the hot metal cone surrounding the lamp. On the other hand, to be considered a remodel housing the housing must be small enough to fit through a hole in the ceiling that measures only 3 inches or 4 inches in diameter. Thus, this small ceiling opening cannot accommodate a large IC housing being installed from below the ceiling. However, please keep in mind that if there is access to the space above the ceiling (for example, an attic), a regular IC housing can be used.

Hope is not lost, there IS one company that's been able to pull off a remodel IC light under 5". The Lithonia brand model L3R at 3". Since Lithonia is the only brand that's done it, and they only make recessed lights in sizes of 3", 5", and 6" a 4" remodel IC does not exist but if you're okay with 3" then you can read about it at

http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/Library/Specification_Sheets/LL/Downlighting-Residential/Residential%20Rough-Ins/Incandescent%20Rough-Ins/L3R.pdf

Just be warned, I hit the one problem that light has. It can only fit in ceilings up to 1/2" thickness and the application I wanted to use it in was plaster ceilings (3/4"). They do make an eyeball for it, the can itself costs $30-$35.

#5 ·
a 4" IC rated can does not exist HALO makes an IC rated 4" can but it is bulky and only comes in new work model. I work for a remodel electrical contractor and we use these all the time, it is a lot more work but if it is what you desire than so be it the only IC rated can you will find in remodel style is larger than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.