Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed lighting

I am finishing my basement. I am putting in recessed lighting. The cans are standard, IC rated, new construction - I am putting in a drop ceiling and the ceiling is insulated. When I stand on the 1st floor of the house above a can that is on I can feel tht the floor is warm. Should I be concerned.

Kimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Recessed lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsue View Post
I am finishing my basement. I am putting in recessed lighting. The cans are standard, IC rated, new construction - I am putting in a drop ceiling and the ceiling is insulated. When I stand on the 1st floor of the house above a can that is on I can feel tht the floor is warm. Should I be concerned.
Two questions.... how much space is there between the top of the can housing the subfloor, and do the cans have thermal cutoffs? I'd personally try to leave at least 2-3" between the top of the can and the subfloor above. The thermal cutoffs in the cans (if equipped) should shut off the light if the can starts to overheat.

You might want to use low-clearance lighting cans. Another option would be to use LED or CFL bulbs, which generate much less heat.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Recessed lighting

Our company completes many basement finishing in Springboro, Ohio and bathroom remodeling projects for our valued customers. We install can lighting every week. The cans are rated to have insulation directly against the can housing.Therefore you have nothing to be worried about other than perhaps premature damage to the floor above. If you were concerned about it you could place a heat shield above the can to ensure the heat did not creat any long term fire issues.
OhioHomeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
DIY Hack

Recessed lighting

Cree makes an LED retrofit that takes the place of the standard bulb and can trim. They only use 10.5 watts, are very cool, and the light is 100% better than any cfl I've ever seen, plus they are not subject to the "warm-up" time of a cfl.

I have 16 of these in my home and LOVE them. So much nicer than cfls and none of the heat associated with incandescents. The only downside is the price. Depending on where you live you can buy these at Home Depot under the EcoSmart label for $25-$39 each ( some power companies work with HD to help offset the cost so prices vary). I got mine in Boston back in the spring for $19.99 each, but it looks like they've gone up in price a little there (currently $24.99 in Boston area)

If you are concerned about the heat, these may be the answer
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Last edited by Mr Chips; 10-04-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote