Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recessed light suggestions?

Hi, I am living in South Bay of California.
I am planning to install 4-inch recessed light in our living room and looking for some suggestions here:

1) Trim selection: Which type of trim (baffle or reflector) is more suitable for living room as the recessed lights are the main and only light source?

2) I am not able to find 4-inch IC rated remodel housing in local hardware department stores. How critical is to have the IC rated housing?

3) I did find one 4-inch IC rated remodel housing online (from Luthonia Light). Anyone here has experience with it?

4) I am from California bay area. Will the "Air Tight" housing reduce significant heat loss compared to non Air Tight housing?

5) Anyone here has experience with the Commercial Electric 4-inch LED recessed light that selling in HomeDepot? If I am going for the LED light, it should be much cooler that I will be able to use non-IC rated housing even it might be close to insulator?

6) For a 19 feet x 16 feet living room, how many 4 inch recessed lights do I need? I am thinking of using 8 recessed lights (3 rows, 3-2-3).

Thanks
Jeff

vyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Recessed light suggestions?

I have not had any need for IC rated remodel cans, so I can't help you there. I have installed some Commercial Electric fluorescent lights and have had nothing but problems. Forget them.

I have 8 MR-16 lamp cans in my living room (with dimmer). The standard white baffle trims work well. How many you have depends on what kind of lamps you have. I went with pretty standard 50w 30 deg floods and when the lights are all the way up, it looks like the inside of the ship from Close Encounters.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote