Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

Recessed Light Placement

I want to put recessed lights in two bedrooms with a fireplace. The problem is that the fireplaces are off center on the wall. I want to accent the fireplaces with fish eye lights and have a couple of regular lights to light the bare spots. I also want a ceiling fan in the middle.

Here are the designs I came up with. I think the fireplace fish eyes are in the right spot because I pumped through some trig to make the fisheyes point down at 30 degrees to the fireplace mantel. However, the other lights are way off center because of it.

I want to wire the fisheyes on one dimmer, the regular recessed lights on another dimmer, and the ceiling fan on two regular switches.

Another question. Are 6" fisheyes too big? I seenthey make 5" and 4".

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Light Placement-bed1.jpg   Recessed Light Placement-bed2.jpg  

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Recessed Light Placement

I would suggest your first layout, aligning the lower right can with the lower left can then adding two cans centered on the fireplace perhaps on a separate switch making the use of future dimmers more convenient. Moving the fan so it is cetnered left to right between the long wall and the fireplace seems better to me as well.

Last edited by brric; 04-04-2010 at 09:27 AM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Recessed Light Placement

I like bedroom 1, except if I were doing it I would use 4 6" instead of the 2. I would also pull the eyeballs in more to the centerline of the FP, instead of being out to the sides.

You definitely do not want any recessed light above the fan blades unless you like the strobe effect.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #4

Recessed Light Placement

Thanks for the advice. You suggest having two more 6" regular recessed lights that aren't eyeballs?

I should point out that Bedroom 1 and Bedroom 2 are two different rooms. Not different configurations for the same room. I have a large Victorian house with 4 fireplaces. This is just half the work ;-) Two more rooms after this trial is done.
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Recessed Light Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan03 View Post
Thanks for the advice. You suggest having two more 6" regular recessed lights that aren't eyeballs?

I should point out that Bedroom 1 and Bedroom 2 are two different rooms. Not different configurations for the same room. I have a large Victorian house with 4 fireplaces. This is just half the work ;-) Two more rooms after this trial is done.
I like 4" cans myself but they are generally more costly and give less light.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Recessed Light Placement

Yes, i was suggesting 4 6" in the corners. I think this would be more balanced than just 2.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Recessed Light Placement

it would cost a fair bit more but what if you were to put 4 4" in the corners? this combined with the ceiling fan(assuming there's a light on it) would give ample light in a room that size if it was so needed and use smaller accent lighting above the fireplace. This would allow you to have the main lights off and just the much dimmer "mood lighting" on when you've got a nice cozy fire going.

andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote