Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

recessed light layout help

i am using recessed can lights to light 2 rooms and need help with the lay outs. both rooms are cathedral ceilings and the ridge is 13' above the finished floor. the first room is 20 by 21 with the ridge in the center at 11'. the second room is 18 by 15 with the ridge offset by 5' on 1 side of the ridge there is 10' of floor space while on the otherside there is only 5'

i tried to load a scanned drawing but it said there was a security token missing and wouldnt let me

gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

This is a trigonometry ("trig") problem; at best. However, I have a few questions before layout can get started:
  1. Will recessed lights be flush mounted to sloped cathedral ceiling? Note: The layout rules are the same on a vaulted ceiling as they are on a flat ceiling.
  2. Are the two rooms adjacent to each other; so that lamps from one room could provide some illumination to the second room as well.
  3. Do you have the footcandle diagrams for your recessed lamps?
In addition, here's a link for you:
http://recessedlightinginstallation....ighting-layout

dkmsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

yes the lights will be flush mounted with the ceiling.

the larger room is a living room and the smaller is a bedroom that are seperated by a wall with the only opening being a 48" frenchdoor so there wouldnt be any spill over on lighting into each other.

i have not bought any lights yet but was thinking the standard 6" recessed for direct contact so i dont have the foot candles per the light yet....
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

You (or AutoCAD trained individual or draftsman "old school") need to draw a sketch of each room to scale and follow these rules:
  1. The lights should be aligned
  2. The lights should be equally spaced throughout the room
Based on your original post, you have measurements of each room. Now use those measurements to draw a sketch, align the lights and space them equal distances apart.

Please review the layout patterns shown at this website link:
http://recessedlightinginstallation....ighting-layout

Good luck!
dkmsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #5

i drew the drawings for the addition so i can scale the floor plan for light layout. equal spacing and aligned makes sense but the light spread doesnt yet..... how far should they be off the wall to start with.....
for a 20 by 20 room you are looking at 16 lights spaced 4' apart--- is 4' too far away from the perimeter?