Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Share |

Recessed Light Layout / Family Room

Hello,

I have room that is 138" by 155" and I am trying to install either 6 or 9 HALO 5" new construction recessed lights. The ceiling joists run parallel with the 138" side. I tried doing a simple 1 row of lights down the center and the other 2 equally spaced from the center row however I have ceiling joist running right down the center of the room. How can lay them out so that it looks as even as possible all the way around the room? Also is 6 the right number of lights for a room this size or is 9 better? It is a small room.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

ericm215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

I have a small living room. I used four 5" canned lights with dimmable flood lighting. The dimmable lights are approx. $7 a piece, but well worth it.

Use this measurement when doing recessed lighting: Space lighting with a minimum of 4 ft and a max of only 6 ft. Any more than 6 ft you will have uneven lighting. Measure from wall to your first light making sure its even with the next light. Don't forget your spacing and you will be fine!

J-Daddyshammer

Daddyshammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

The trim style, bulb type and mounting height along with room usage will affect the spacing of recessed lights. A very rough guideline is that the mounting height will equal the diameter of the circle of light. This is based on a 6" recessed with a PAR flood bulb and a baffle trim.