Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed Light Issue

Hi,

I need a little help. Not sure what I could be doing wrong, however starting to think beginning a parallel circuit not at the end could be my problem? I'm only worried about the recessed fixtures currently. The pendants are not ready for discussion yet.

The problem is I've hooked everything up and although everything is getting some form of power according to my Fluke VoltAlert 1AC-A 2, the fixtures don't light up. Maybe they're getting less voltage than needed?

This is the way I've connected the fixtures... is this the problem? All the lights are showing some form of power on my voltage tester and so is the switch. Any ideas what the issue might be?

Name:  dining-light-question.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  18.3 KB

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by natedro; 08-26-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: parallel circuit, not series... oops.
natedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Recessed Light Issue

Where does the power come into the circuit?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

Recessed Light Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Where does the power come into the circuit?
The switch is where the power comes in. Then, it goes to the light indicated in the drawing.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Recessed Light Issue

That wiring scheme shown would be correct.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

Recessed Light Issue

Quote:
That wiring scheme shown would be correct.
Even with the circuit beginning at the second fixture? Any idea where the problem might be?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Sparky

Recessed Light Issue

as long as every fixture is made up color to color you'd be right.
Techy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Recessed Light Issue

What is the problem you think you have? There are some issues with non-contact detectors.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Sparky

Recessed Light Issue

if your tic tester is showing power, i'd assume a neutral issue what wires do you have in the switch box
Techy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #9

Recessed Light Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
if your tic tester is showing power, i'd assume a neutral issue what wires do you have in the switch box
Just the power coming in and a dead cable I've capped off. The live wire coming in is part of a circuit. Could it be a neutral somewhere up the circuit isn't connected?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Resi EC

Recessed Light Issue

Might re-check your switch just to make sure you didn't cap the wrong neutral, have done this myself
Gac66610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
Licensed electrician

Recessed Light Issue

It might help to know the connections you made.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Master Electrician

Recessed Light Issue

I'm thinking it has to do with the fact they called it a series circuit. That would definately create the problem they have if they worked the fixtures in series.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
Master Electrician

Recessed Light Issue

Very rarely does anything get wired in series in your house, always parallell. You put four lights in series on a 120v circuit with the same wattage bulb in each and you'll drop about 30v across each not the expected 120v. 30v will set off a pen tester with a good battery even if its not rated to go that low.

If the bulbs are incandescant they'll come on dim but if they're CFL they won't come on probably.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Recessed Light Issue

Quote:
It might help to know the connections you made.
Recessed Light Issue-dining-switch-notes.jpg

Here's the switch. There are three cables in there. One isn't getting power, so I capped it off and will deal with it later.

The other old cable is the live one. The white one is the one going to the fixtures.

White wire has a ground which was attached to switch.

I've connected the neutral wires together. I've got a black from each useful cable on each terminal of the switch. Both show power from my tester, along with the neutrals and the ground.

Then, once the white wire goes from switch to the second fixture in the drawing from my first post, I used the Halo easy connectors to connect the fixtures as shown.
I am guessing the problem is that I've basically got two branches going with the recessed lights the way I connected them. I may crawl into the attic in a minute and change the wiring up to see if that's the issue. It was too hot earlier to get back up there.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #15

Recessed Light Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I'm thinking it has to do with the fact they called it a series circuit. That would definately create the problem they have if they worked the fixtures in series.
Probably going change the wiring shortly... if not, maybe in the morning. Wish they would just work!

It might be important to mention previously, there was a ceiling fan with light that I removed. The wiring for this room is pretty rough, so it's always an adventure trying to figure out what the hell is going on with it. Please bare with me.