Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 290

Recessed Light Install Question

I am attempting to install a 6" recessed can light in the place of an existing ceiling fixture in my kitchen. I have removed the existing outlet box in the ceiling and am ready to proceed.

My question/problem is that the location of the hole in the ceiling has one edge cut right on the bottom edge of the joist above it. I am ready to cut the bigger hole in the ceiling for the canned light and am concerned about the canned light fitting above, in the ceiling, when when the joist is right on the edge of the hole.

Are my concerns legit or I am just worrying about nothing? I was planning on cutting the new hole with one edge(under the joist) overlapping the exisiting hole. I have attached a picture to hopefully help clarify what I am talking about. Should I cut the hole moving it iin some other direction? Any assistance will help. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Light Install Question-100_0877.jpg  

kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You need to skooch that hole over a little in order to be able to install a remodel can. They need some room at the edges to lock onto the sheetrock, and it would be a good idea to get a little clearance from the combustible joist.

Notching the joist to fit the can in should not be considered as an option.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 290

The hole edge is right on the bottom edge of the joist. If I scoot if over a bit, I am assuming that you mean to move it a little bit away from the hole(more to the right)edge? This will give a bit of wiggle room within the hole when the can is inside of it and the trim ring will cover up this gap?
kennykenny is offline   Reply With Quote