Recessed Light Converter? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Recessed light converter?

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

http://www.thecanconverter.com/store/

We're considering purchasing one to convert a recessed light to a hanging table lamp.

Thanks,
Kelly

Advertisement

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Haven't heard of it until now. I don't like the part where they say "convert the halo lights to ceiling fans" If you do that...I think we know what would happen.

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

It seems OK if you want to use a light weight fixture. But there is no way I'd hang a large chandelier or ceiling fan from it.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
It seems OK if you want to use a light weight fixture. But there is no way I'd hang a large chandelier or ceiling fan from it.
I agree. We're only going to hang a table lamp, which isn't too heavy.
kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 View Post
I agree. We're only going to hang a table lamp, which isn't too heavy.
Table Lamp? I am assuming this is meant to be hung over a table like a chandelier? Usually these adaptors are only rated for a max of 25 pounds, I would check to make sure your light fixture doesn't exceed 25 pounds.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
handyman mark

Rewards Points: 10

If your removing a can light and replace it with a different kind other than another can, you must turn off all power giong to old can then it can be removed from in side there should be clips holding the reflector in place or it may also screw out.
After this the intire assembly MAY be pulled through the ceiling and the wires disconnected, if not you will have to get to it from the attic or crawl space.
The hole it leaves behind maybe small enough to be coverd by the new fixture, if not you will need to patch it or get a decoritive ring for around it.
Now you will have to mount a 4x4 or octaganel box in the area you removed the CAN.
Make shure you mount it securly( I run a 2x4 between the joist and fastin with deck screws) just make shure your box comes out flush with the cieling.
Pull the wires through the box( make shure you use a clap for the wire)
Now you should be ready to mount any light you wish
MARK M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK M. View Post
If your removing a can light and replace it with a different kind other than another can, you must turn off all power giong to old can then it can be removed from in side there should be clips holding the reflector in place or it may also screw out.
After this the intire assembly MAY be pulled through the ceiling and the wires disconnected, if not you will have to get to it from the attic or crawl space.
The hole it leaves behind maybe small enough to be coverd by the new fixture, if not you will need to patch it or get a decoritive ring for around it.
Now you will have to mount a 4x4 or octaganel box in the area you removed the CAN.
Make shure you mount it securly( I run a 2x4 between the joist and fastin with deck screws) just make shure your box comes out flush with the cieling.
Pull the wires through the box( make shure you use a clap for the wire)
Now you should be ready to mount any light you wish
Mark, look at the Op's first post in this thread, he is looking to use a converter kit to keep the can in place and attach a new fixture over the can.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

I sure don't like the look of that device at all. I wonder if it has any sort of UL listing/testing or an ICC evaluation?

What if the device is being installed in remodel cans, which are supported by nothing more than sheetrock!?!?! I wouldn't hang a 25 pound fixture from a new work can, let alone a remodel can.

They advertise hanging ceiling fans from it. That is negligent. Fans must be supported by fan boxes, no exceptions.

This has to be one of the worst product ideas (from a safety and sound electrical practice standpoint) that I have seen in a very long time.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
I sure don't like the look of that device at all. I wonder if it has any sort of UL listing/testing or an ICC evaluation?

What if the device is being installed in remodel cans, which are supported by nothing more than sheetrock!?!?! I wouldn't hang a 25 pound fixture from a new work can, let alone a remodel can.

They advertise hanging ceiling fans from it. That is negligent. Fans must be supported by fan boxes, no exceptions.

This has to be one of the worst product ideas (from a safety and sound electrical practice standpoint) that I have seen in a very long time.

I can't imagine what some people have done with remodel cans and this... *big hole in ceiling*

Advertisement

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote