Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

recessed light

I currently have 2 recessed lights and I would like to add 2 more. Is there anyway to control these other 2 independently even if all 4 are getting power from the same source?

mikem201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Child Alert! Pull Up!

recessed light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem201 View Post
I currently have 2 recessed lights and I would like to add 2 more. Is there anyway to control these other 2 independently even if all 4 are getting power from the same source?
Absolutely! A little more complex.....yes, a little. But if you would like the know how, we would certainly need a lot more info. Such as where in the house is the room located, upstairs, downstairs, basement?

Where is the new light control (switch) going to be installed in relation to the existing switch controlling the existing two lights.

Where is your power source coming from to feed the existing lights?

The more details you can provide, the easier it will be for us to make your DIY project easier.

Thanks!

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #3

recessed light

its in a hallway. I have two recessed lights now daisy chained together using an attic junction box as the source. I would like to add a double rocker switch rather than have 2 separate switches.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
MCB
sparky

Rewards Points: 25

recessed light

Quote:
its in a hallway. I have two recessed lights now daisy chained together using an attic junction box as the source. I would like to add a double rocker switch rather than have 2 separate switches.

Is the power for the lights in the switch or the fixture? Doesn't really matter, just easier for you if its in the switch...
MCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

recessed light

Power is going into the switch from the source then out to the lights. What if I installed 2 more can lights with a separate switch and pigtailed into the existing power source but ran the wires to a new switch would that work you think?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #6
MCB
sparky

recessed light

Quote:
Power is going into the switch from the source then out to the lights. What if I installed 2 more can lights with a separate switch and pigtailed into the existing power source but ran the wires to a new switch would that work you think?
Provided there is enough amps left on the circuit, sounds good. Run the one switchleg cable from the switch up to the first new lamp, then another to the second one. you can twist it onto the hot lead from the source and a pigtail to the second switch. White to white and ground it to the box. Shut the breaker off first for that cct, makes it easier and quicker.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

recessed light

what is a good way to determine if there are enough amps for a circuit? Don't you divide voltage by watts?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
MCB
sparky

recessed light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem201
what is a good way to determine if there are enough amps for a circuit? Don't you divide voltage by watts?
Other way around- amps = watts/volts, but in Canada, you are allowed 12A Max on a 15A circuit for lighting and outlets and we designate 1A per fixture (plenty!). Some states have their own regs, of course.
Best is to turn stuff on and see how many "things" are on the cct and count em to see if you are within allowed amt with new fixtures. Include lights and plugs in the count. Certain things are required to be dedicated, so if any of those are on it, you are already maxed out.