Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recessed led lights for ceiling

Hi,

I searched the web for hours looking for answers but I cannot find anything clear about this. There are recessed lighting led fixtures that are sold with the driver and they are made to mount straight into the ceiling without housing. now the driver obviously needs to be hardwired to a 120v wire from a my switch box but what is the rule for this connection? Do I tuck in the wire, does it need a box? I know the halogen ones come with the box and the housing all together but these low voltage come just with the light and the driver.

it might be obvious but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks

JC0128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

You must be looking at a retrofit LED application I assume. Every light needs a housing. And yes 120v still goes into it. Pretty sure they all have quick connectors now. Can you give the model # you're trying to use? Maybe we could offer better advice with that.

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

I was looking at these type of bulbs http://tinyurl.com/7jfd6zg on ebay. They instruct to just cut the hole in the ceiling and connect but I figure it cannot be "code" to do so.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #4

Those will work great with your cabinets, good luck!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

I'm sorry. That was rude. Please don't buy those. There's plenty of other better products out there. Are you trying to add recessed LED lighting in your kitchen? I don't know what kind of budget you have but the best out there is called Cree. If you have a pretty tight budget, just check out home depot or something of the likes in your area. They have Halo's and Commercial Electric LED lighting. They have many options. They even sell kits that you do actually just cut a hole in the ceiling and hook 120v to the housing. Do a little more research and ask if you need advice. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,146

I agree, don't buy them. They are not UL listed and any wire splice must be in an approved electrical box.

Install a remodel can and use a LED retrofit kit:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the answers. I figured it wouldn't work like that. Led is appealing but since I can get halogen 50w with housing kit under 10$ each it seems too much of a price difference especially if you put 20+ light fixtures...

In any case thanks for the answers.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #8

Hmmm.. If you can find a halogen kit that cheap then go for it.. Sounds WAY to cheap to me.. Make sure its rated IC if your attic is insulated. And yes the LED's are a bit expensive, but they save you on electricity, and changing the bulbs every 50,000 hours is very appealing to me, not to mention the much much cooler they run. Good luck !
Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Found this, a LED that retros to an existing recessed can or mounts to a regular J box.

http://store.earthled.com/products/l...nergy-star-led

Also available in 4" and different color temperatures.

http://store.earthled.com/search?q=Glimpse

Home Depot has one:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=203338438&storeId=10051&l angId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=203338438&ci_kw={keyword} &kwd={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-203338438&ci_gpa=pla

Last edited by rjniles; 06-24-2012 at 01:42 PM.
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

They have Halo's and Commercial Electric LED lighting. They have many options. They even sell kits that you do actually just cut a hole in the ceiling and hook 120v to the housing.

---------------------
flexible led strip
led ceiling lighting
best led light bulbs
Merry Browen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Without the ul or CSA rating you can't install them. If they were rated you could do the low voltage side free air. Mount the driver inside a jb and bring the 120v volt into the jb then take your low voltage cable out to the light. Depending on the heat thrown you may need a fireproof barrier around the back of the light but normally the isn't required with led lighting. Another issue is that you have to worry about voltage drop a lot more when your dealing with a low voltage circuit. All of this is moot point if its not an approved ul fixture. Your just asking for your insurance company not to pay out in The event of a house fire if you do that.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC0128 View Post
There are recessed lighting led fixtures that are sold with the driver and they are made to mount straight into the ceiling without housing. now the driver obviously needs to be hardwired to a 120v wire from a my switch box but what is the rule for this connection? Do I tuck in the wire, does it need a box?
I have the same question. I'm looking at:
low voltage recessed LED lights (Image 1 below)
line voltage with combined driver recessed LED lights (Image 2 below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
Without the ul or CSA rating you can't install them. If they were rated you could do the low voltage side free air. Mount the driver inside a jb and bring the 120v volt into the jb then take your low voltage cable out to the light.
Is this really the case, if using low voltage lights that are UL approved, can I simply make a connection/splice in the ceiling outside of any j-box?

I do not have enough room in the ceiling to install cans or anything that big. I will need a shallow solution. There is enough room for a j-box, but that is pretty much it.

Could someone explain how lights of the types listed above can be connected?

Image 1:
http://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.net...ight-store.jpg

Image 2:
http://img01.cp.aliimg.com/imgextra/...!823741806.jpg
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 93

sorry double post
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
A "Handy Husband"

Jaxx, if the driver is a UL listed device in would be installed in an electric box and a cable rated for in wall use brought out of the box for connection to the lamp.

Tags
led recessed wiring