Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed eyeball help

Hello,

I recently had 2 Juno IC20 recessed light fixtures installed in my kitchen, along with the 209-WH gimbal ring seen here (http://www.bestbuyelectric.com/acata...no_209-WH.html). I have never owned recessed lights and feel stupid for asking this, but I'm completely confused. The picture seems to show the bulb sitting right at ceiling level and rotating with the gimbal ring, but how is that possible? The bulb sits up in the fixture well above ceiling level and then the ring is just open. Is there a cover or something that I need to purchase to give the light a finished look and make it look like the pictured item? I haven't been able to find any information online and this is driving me crazy, so I would greatly appreciated any help.

CubsWin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #2

Recessed eyeball help

Upon further review, it looks like maybe the contractor didn't adjust the housing properly for my trim piece. I think it can slide down, which would then allow the bulb to sit flush with the ceiling. Does that sound right?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #3

Recessed eyeball help

its been a while since I have done an eyeball light but if I remember correctly, the bulb socket fits into the eye ball trim ring so that the bulb moves with the ring. Are you sure that the recessed light you have is made for that trim ring?
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Recessed eyeball help

I have see that type pretty often.,

Normally the gimbal trim ring the bulb will sit on the gimbal ring { the socket will be floating type } or socket will be attached to gimbal ring and you can able adjust the angle where you want the lamp to be aim at.

However with standard open trim type normally the socket assambley part that useally sit up pretty high in the can but you can adjust by loosen up the wingnut { it will be on the side of the can } and move the plate down to point where the bulb will be flush I done that pretty often with PAR or BR or R bulbs somecase just leave it up due some have pretty long neck bulbs.

I just review the OP statement let me add one more item when you change from open trim to gimbal trim ring set up you will have to discharge the socket support bracket the socket itself have clip you will have to squezze it and transfer to the gimbal socket { see above comment due there are two ways it can be done depending on which gimbal itself }
But just watch the wattage rating I know the smaller one are useally restircted to 50 watts but larger one it depending on what it set up.

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Recessed eyeball help

I do see where the bulb clips into the gimbal ring, so I'm ok with that part, but I'm still unable to get it flush with the ceiling. I removed the wingnuts and tried pulling the socket assembly down, but it only comes down a small amount until it hits some brackets in the housing.

I'm not following your comment about discharging the socket support bracket, but maybe that is where I'm stuck.

Update: I finally got it. There was a screw holding the socket and another metal piece had to be wiggled free at just the right angle. After those came out I was able to pull the socket down and it hangs down far enough that I can clip the bulb into the gimbal ring. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by CubsWin; 11-28-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Recessed eyeball help

CubsWin.,

Sure anytime I am glad to give you a helping hand and if you have any other issue you know where to find us.

have a nice jour { good day }

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote