Recessed Downlights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 789
Rewards Points: 558
Default

Recessed downlights


We just finished rocking a new room and are looking to install (8) new recessed 5" down lights. We wen to Home Depot and looked at some contractor packs of housings, trims and then the dimmable bulbs. Pretty expensive but we have to get them. Any other route to buy these cheaper than the big box store? are LED's better? Thanks a lot!!!

Advertisement

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,448
Rewards Points: 564
Default

Recessed downlights


Did you already drywall the ceiling?

I like the LED fixtures with the LED driver built in but they are very expensive. You could do a incandescent cans and install LED bulbs.

Advertisement

__________________
Dan
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,782
Rewards Points: 680
Default

Recessed downlights


Kind of doing this backwards. How are you going to run all the wiring now?
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 789
Rewards Points: 558
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Kind of doing this backwards. How are you going to run all the wiring now?
All the wiring was run Joe. It's smoking out of small holes where we are putting the downlights.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 789
Rewards Points: 558
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
Did you already drywall the ceiling? I like the LED fixtures with the LED driver built in but they are very expensive. You could do a incandescent cans and install LED bulbs.
Yes we did.
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southeastern MA
Posts: 1,448
Rewards Points: 564
Default

Recessed downlights


Try searching for the fixtures online. At a minimum you can save on the tax. Non IC cans will be cheaper than IC but if you have an open attic above, you'll want IC.
__________________
Dan
djlandkpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,904
Rewards Points: 2,162
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
All the wiring was run Joe. It's smoking out of small holes where we are putting the downlights.
Well, I'll add my questioning of your logic. Putting the lights in before is a MUCH easier way to do it and you know where the joists are. My suggestion is to bend a coat hanger into an "L" and spin it around before you start cutting. You'll be pissed if you cut a crescent and hit a joist.

Also, you consider contractor packs of recessed lights expensive??? That is the cheapest was to go with the cheapest trims. Did you not look into this before starting?
As far as recessed cans and trims go big box stores are about as cheap as you can get. Maybe try Amazon.com.

I get the impression you did not give this project much forethought.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 01-05-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 4,118
Rewards Points: 2,708
Default

Recessed downlights


be aware. those air sealed cans are anything but. they have little leaks all through them.
i used silicone to seal em up.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 4,118
Rewards Points: 2,708
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

Also, you consider contractor packs of recessed lights expensive??? That is the cheapest was to go with the cheapest trims. Did you not look into this before starting?
As far as recessed cans and trims go big box stores are about as cheap as you can get. Maybe try Amazon.com.
i checked around. i bought mine at HD. as far as bulbs and trims. i had to have led's = i didn't want to heat the attic. the cheapest reasonable was led's with built in trims, $35 each at hd. i have 6. ouch. plus a $25 dimmer
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,904
Rewards Points: 2,162
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i had to have led's = i didn't want to heat the attic.
If you got air-tite IC cans you insulate over the cans. IE: no attic heating. THAT'S the point.

If the OP wants LEDs he has to pay the price. That's like saying you'll only use synthetic oil in your car, then complaining that synth oil is so much more than dino oil.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far sw sub chicago
Posts: 4,118
Rewards Points: 2,708
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
If you got air-tite IC cans you insulate over the cans. IE: no attic heating. THAT'S the point.
yeah. thats the way it works. on paper.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 789
Rewards Points: 558
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Well, I'll add my questioning of your logic. Putting the lights in before is a MUCH easier way to do it and you know where the joists are. My suggestion is to bend a coat hanger into an "L" and spin it around before you start cutting. You'll be pissed if you cut a crescent and hit a joist.

Also, you consider contractor packs of recessed lights expensive??? That is the cheapest was to go with the cheapest trims. Did you not look into this before starting?
As far as recessed cans and trims go big box stores are about as cheap as you can get. Maybe try Amazon.com.

I get the impression you did not give this project much forethought.
Petey you can keep your advice and save your condescending remarks for someone else
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #13
A "Handy Husband"
 
rjniles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 4,240
Rewards Points: 2,390
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Petey you can keep your advice and save your condescending remarks for someone else
Not good form to dis a very knowledgeable and one of the most helpful professionals kn this forum.
__________________
Location:
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,041
Rewards Points: 2,880
Default

Recessed downlights


The normal process is to use new work housing and then the drywall. Why someone went about this the hard way is beyond me.

The recessed at the big box stores could not be much cheaper than they already are, quality or moneywise. The nicest fixture I like is like $20 for the housing and a baffle trim and is much nicer than the big box crap.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,041
Rewards Points: 2,880
Default

Recessed downlights


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Petey you can keep your advice and save your condescending remarks for someone else
I think he calls it like he sees it. This project could have been much better thought out including the cost issue. I agree with him. Sorry.

Advertisement

__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Port For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (01-06-2014)
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meaning of Recessed Lights That Are "Not Rated for Insulation"? DoItY Electrical 7 06-30-2012 01:00 AM
Kitchen fluorescent to LED recessed lighting changeout speedytahiti Electrical 1 01-05-2012 08:04 PM
Hitting a Joist when installing a recessed light? hicksjh Electrical 9 11-22-2010 09:27 PM
Recessed light suggestions? vyjeff Electrical 1 04-27-2010 02:26 AM
Recessed light plan foiled? kcrossley2 Electrical 8 03-15-2007 12:08 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts