Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed downlights

We just finished rocking a new room and are looking to install (8) new recessed 5" down lights. We wen to Home Depot and looked at some contractor packs of housings, trims and then the dimmable bulbs. Pretty expensive but we have to get them. Any other route to buy these cheaper than the big box store? are LED's better? Thanks a lot!!!
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #2

Recessed downlights

Did you already drywall the ceiling?

I like the LED fixtures with the LED driver built in but they are very expensive. You could do a incandescent cans and install LED bulbs.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Recessed downlights

Kind of doing this backwards. How are you going to run all the wiring now?
Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #4

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Kind of doing this backwards. How are you going to run all the wiring now?
All the wiring was run Joe. It's smoking out of small holes where we are putting the downlights.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #5

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
Did you already drywall the ceiling? I like the LED fixtures with the LED driver built in but they are very expensive. You could do a incandescent cans and install LED bulbs.
Yes we did.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #6

Recessed downlights

Try searching for the fixtures online. At a minimum you can save on the tax. Non IC cans will be cheaper than IC but if you have an open attic above, you'll want IC.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
All the wiring was run Joe. It's smoking out of small holes where we are putting the downlights.
Well, I'll add my questioning of your logic. Putting the lights in before is a MUCH easier way to do it and you know where the joists are. My suggestion is to bend a coat hanger into an "L" and spin it around before you start cutting. You'll be pissed if you cut a crescent and hit a joist.

Also, you consider contractor packs of recessed lights expensive??? That is the cheapest was to go with the cheapest trims. Did you not look into this before starting?
As far as recessed cans and trims go big box stores are about as cheap as you can get. Maybe try Amazon.com.

I get the impression you did not give this project much forethought.

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 01-05-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Recessed downlights

be aware. those air sealed cans are anything but. they have little leaks all through them.
i used silicone to seal em up.
Fix'n it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #9

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

Also, you consider contractor packs of recessed lights expensive??? That is the cheapest was to go with the cheapest trims. Did you not look into this before starting?
As far as recessed cans and trims go big box stores are about as cheap as you can get. Maybe try Amazon.com.
i checked around. i bought mine at HD. as far as bulbs and trims. i had to have led's = i didn't want to heat the attic. the cheapest reasonable was led's with built in trims, $35 each at hd. i have 6. ouch. plus a $25 dimmer
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i had to have led's = i didn't want to heat the attic.
If you got air-tite IC cans you insulate over the cans. IE: no attic heating. THAT'S the point.

If the OP wants LEDs he has to pay the price. That's like saying you'll only use synthetic oil in your car, then complaining that synth oil is so much more than dino oil.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #11

Recessed downlights

Quote:
If you got air-tite IC cans you insulate over the cans. IE: no attic heating. THAT'S the point.
yeah. thats the way it works. on paper.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:50 PM   #12

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Well, I'll add my questioning of your logic. Putting the lights in before is a MUCH easier way to do it and you know where the joists are. My suggestion is to bend a coat hanger into an "L" and spin it around before you start cutting. You'll be pissed if you cut a crescent and hit a joist.

I get the impression you did not give this project much forethought.
Petey you can keep your advice and save your condescending remarks for someone else
Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Recessed downlights

Quote:
Petey you can keep your advice and save your condescending remarks for someone else
Not good form to dis a very knowledgeable and one of the most helpful professionals kn this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
Licensed electrician

Recessed downlights

The normal process is to use new work housing and then the drywall. Why someone went about this the hard way is beyond me.

The recessed at the big box stores could not be much cheaper than they already are, quality or moneywise. The nicest fixture I like is like $20 for the housing and a baffle trim and is much nicer than the big box crap.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
Licensed electrician

Recessed downlights

Quote:
I think he calls it like he sees it. This project could have been much better thought out including the cost issue. I agree with him. Sorry.
Speedy Petey (01-06-2014)