Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recessed Can wiring help

Long time reader, first post.

Back story: Just purchased a house, and it had 3 12"x48" florescent lights in the kitchen. Wife wanted recessed cans. Removed the florescent lights, pushed the wires up through the insulation in the attic (single story home with plenty of attic space), patched the holes, laid out the can placement. One of the florescent lights was on a single switch, the other two were on a three way.

I checked and the circuit won't be overloaded and my plan is to wire the single switch to a ceiling fan in the kitchen, simple enough. The cans are were I have questions. In the attic I found the hot, neutral, and ground from each of the other two florescent lights that I removed. The 3 wires were just jumped from one light to the next to control both of them.

Because of the attic insulation (literally 36" of blown insulation with rolled underneath it - apparently the previous home owners were really energy conscious) I ran new 12/2 romex (it is a 20amp fuse) from each new can location to one central spot where the florescent switched power source was located. Instead of trying to fish wire up and down each new can hole.

My plan: Connect 3 cans together (hot, neutral, ground) then a jumper to the source, then connect the other 4 cans together (hot, neutral, ground) and a jumper to source along with the jumper from the first 3 cans. All these connection will be made inside joist mounted jbox with covers.

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything that will cause my plan to not work. I know it isn't the shortest runs of wiring but I wanted to disturb as little insulation as possible.

Thanks any and all feedback!

TX_TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Electrician Canadian Eh!!

Recessed Can wiring help

Sounds like you know a thing or two.
2 switch wires(1 from single, 1 from 3way)(could be a 12/3)?

Other thing to note is the junction boxes have to be accessible.(In case there is problems)

Sounds Good.

hhuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Recessed Can wiring help

That is another thing, I don't know how the 3 way is run, I know there are many ways to do it. In the attic the wires from the lights on the 3 way are run to a single hot and a single neutral and a ground. These are the wires I am planning to connect to my 7 cans.

It is 12/2 not 12/3 running to the lights, so I guess the 3 way is split from that somewhere else under this 3 feet of insulation.

Junction boxes will be on raised joists that are accessible. So wiring them with jumpers is good to go?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Recessed Can wiring help

If you had just one 12-2 cable coming up from the 3 way switches to one light fixture (and daisy chaining to the other light fixture) then you don't have to worry about the switch wiring. Just match the black and white of this cable to the new lights.

The junction box that comes with the can light is probably not big enough to insert the power cable and do a two way daisy chain to two different banks of lights (controlled by the same switch). But a separate 4 inch octagon or square junction box can accept the post-switch feed and from there two cables go off to the respective banks of lights.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Electrician Canadian Eh!!

Recessed Can wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_TLC View Post
That is another thing, I don't know how the 3 way is run, I know there are many ways to do it. In the attic the wires from the lights on the 3 way are run to a single hot and a single neutral and a ground. These are the wires I am planning to connect to my 7 cans.

It is 12/2 not 12/3 running to the lights, so I guess the 3 way is split from that somewhere else under this 3 feet of insulation.

Junction boxes will be on raised joists that are accessible. So wiring them with jumpers is good to go?
If you have two different (12/2)switch wires in the attic, 1 for the single pole and 1 for the 3way, then you are good to go. The 3way wiring is already done and was working. You are just changing the fixtures on the end.
hhuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #6

Recessed Can wiring help

That is what I thought, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask. I should have been more specific, the j box i am using is a extra deep 4x4. And no, I am not concerned with the wiring of the switches. Just was thinking too much...lol

Thanks again gentlemen!