Recess Lighting Spot Not Working - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recess lighting spot not working

Hi everyone,

I have a recess spot light in my kitchen that is not working. I put in a new light bulb but nothing. Before it stopped working, it would "twitch" or flicker every few minutes, then it stopped working altogether. Tought it was the light bulb that was burned then tried a new box of lightbulbs also, still nothing.

What could be causing that? And is it something easy to fix or do I have to call in an electrician?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by bellezza; 11-11-2009 at 03:58 PM.
bellezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellezza View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a recess spot light in my kitchen that is not working. I put in a new light bulb but nothing. Before it stopped working, it would "twitch" or flicker every few minutes, then it stopped working altogether. Tought it was the light bulb that was burned then tried a new box of lightbulbs also, still nothing.

What could be causing that? And is it something easy to fix or do I have to call in an electrician?

Thanks.
Is this only one recess light in kitchen if so could be the switch another thing TURN OFF POWER and then take bulb out and the center tab in light socket and pull it out a little.

Advertisement

300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, it's the only one in the kitchen that doesn't work, all others are ok.

Sorry if I sound like a newbie in that area, I am !!
bellezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

one the can lighting there are 1/4 screws that hole the can in place there are two options here if you know how they are wired the last on that is working you could take it apart and check the conections othe option take apart light that is not working and make sure it is getting power (use a tester)if its getting power you prob need to buy a new can and replace it with the old one.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

I'm with 300zx on this one--a lot of times when a light flickers, the lamp is screwed into the socket as far as it will go, but--the spot on the end of the lamp is barely touching the little metal strip within the lamp socket. This little tab will warm up with the lamp on and bend, sometimes bending so as to break the connection and the lamp goes out. As soon as the lamp goes out, the metal tab cools down just enough to make contact again and lamp on. DO, please DO, turn off the power to the light fixture before trying to adjust the tab inside the lamp socket. AND--only pull it down just a little bit. IF this does not solve the problem, then the wiring for the fixture needs to be checked out. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote