Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recess Lighting

My family room is dim and my ceiling fan with light kit is the only light source. I in the process of painting the room. I do have multiple outlets in the room that i'm going to add lamps, but i want to add recess lightings to the room if i want to have overall brightness (when i need it).

I would like advice on what type of recess lights would give me daylight look in a dull/dim family room.

tks

I will post pics soon

Lucci_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Recess Lighting

As an electrician, I often help customers regarding types of lighting needed, but always defer the final decision to the customer. This decision is more based on taste than on practacality.

I highly reccomend a trip to a lighting supply store. Not just the big box store. You can always later make your fianl purchase elsewhere.

Please also keep in mind, that you are likley to need an extra electrical circuit to support your added load in this area. You also will likely do some damage to ceilings and walls that will need to be repaired before your final paint coat can be applied.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
Phil

Rewards Points: 75

Recess Lighting

For a true daylight look you want "full spectrum" lights which are available only as standard tungsten bulb mount or as MR16 for use with track style light fixtures. For your family room a track fixture would provide a lot of flexibility for aiming the lights and using different type of light fixtures on the track.

The MR16 full spectrum are designed for museums and galleries to provide a daylight equivalent light source. Great for minimizing the winder blahs as well. As they are like sunlight they are not good for artwork as they will accellerate fading of colors.
Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote